Best G. gongylodes ooth deposition sites

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ignatz

Reaction score
My violin mantises matured and I now have a whole bunch of males and only a few females. It's been amusing to a point to watch the males punching the out of each other and knocking each other off their respective perches. I was worried however that none of them were going to be acceptable to the females, until tonight. The biggest female accepted one of the males and they've been copulating all day. The cage is a large exoterra, with fiberglass screen on the inside to provide more perching room, lots of sticks of various sizes, those fake vines, etc., but they all seem to like to hang upside down from the top. My question is this, when ooth laying time comes and they choose to deposit them on the top, what is the best procedure for removal an incubation...or should i isolate the mated females into something more appropriate with better deposition sites? One female in particular is a big green monster, and she's going to be a producer, I think - that's the one that's been copulating all day. First time i've kept this species...any suggestions much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about a shorter question: How do you safely remove ooths attached to metal screen?

How about a shorter question: How do you safely remove ooths attached to metal screen?
The ooth should set and dry for 48 hours to fully harden, or longer. Once dry they are easier to remove, as they are so ridged, and less chance of damaging any eggs inside too.

The same technique for fiberglass or metal screen mesh applies, the easiest method is to place one hand on the back of the screen mesh/ooth area for strength - to adjust the tension on the mesh by pushing on the mesh or not as needed. With your other hand simply grasp both sides of the ooth with your fingers and rock the ooth from side to side (the smaller width ooth area). After a few times the ooth will pull cleanly from the screen mesh (leaving even fiberglass intact).

Sometimes if the ooth material has harden around the outside of the screen mesh a bit more work is required. That is use a small blunt ended item like a flat/slotted screwdriver and pry on a end of the ooth to free it, being careful not to puncture the ooth itself. Then again use the rocking method to work the ooth free from the mesh.

In very few cases the screen mesh may need to be cut around the ooth to free it, but I haven't had any yet where I was unable to cleanly remove the ooth by rocking it; however, be aware it may take some force as the ooth material when laid foams around mesh making a tight bond.

It may all sound dangerous to the eggs inside, but is the best methods. I've only damaged one ooth from nearly a hundred with the method too - Incidentally that damaged ooth still hatched many nymphs when incubated. :)

Thanks very much for this important info, Maybe a video would be a good idea as well. 

Do you think that there are any ways to secure material on the screen onto which the females are more likely to deposit their ooths than on to the screen itself? Almost wondering if it'd be worth it to secure a second layer of easily removable screen to the underside of the top and then simply cut away the material around the ooth. Lastly, any idea as to how long the interval is between mating and the first ooth deposition in G. gongylodes?

@ignatz Indeed a video would make it easier to understand, and is something I hope to remember to record next time I remove a ooth.

Yes, you can place material on the screen mesh and I've had the best success with laying sticks side-by-side in "wooden raft" fashion. Most females will lay on the sticks nearly every time when available versus the screen mesh. Then I simply remove the individual stick the ooth is attached to incubate. I've tried other materials but the females much preferred the sticks. If nothing else though, lay a layer of sacrificial mesh just below the permanent mesh, then just cut or remove that mesh as needed. Edit - I see you mentioned the same thing, and it would be worthwhile. :)

The most common method to secure the material to the screen mesh would be hot glue, but to save the mesh, you could also use thread and tie the material through the mesh openings. Thread actually works great, it just takes a bit of effort to secure material that way.

I'm not sure of the particular species, regarding mating to ooth deposition time; however, with most mantid species it is typically two weeks (or less) for the first ooth, and about a week for successive ooths.

Maybe monofilament fishing line to tie off the sticks?  Are we talking tongue depressor type sticks or just "sticks"? I have both...

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe monofilament fishing line to tie off the sticks?  Are we talking tongue depressor type sticks or just "sticks"? I have both...
Sure if your fishing line is small enough in diameter to use, it would be more secure too. Either type would work fine (perhaps they would like the flatter surface of the tongue depressors more even), however I use small sticks and twigs I get from dead tree branches. :)

Latest posts