Best looking color on a mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelofdeathzz

Reaction score
Anybody have a favorite color or pattern on a mantis (or bug) that they like best, pics would be great!

I'll add some of my favs later?!? I do have 1 or 2 that are worthy...

I'll keep my answer to the mantid variety as I've seen too many amazingly colored bugs to answer (e.g. butterflies, iridescent dragonflies, the bio-luminescence of lightning bugs, etc etc.)

Mantis? It'd be the display of Metallicus splendidus.

100.JPG

But that's not really an answer as I've never seen one. Similarly, I've never owned/seen the vivid pink of an orchid mantis yet either... But I can say I currently slightly favor three colors: green, red, and black.

I've enjoyed gazing at a few species that display those three in various degrees (e.g. violins, oxys and idolos) and I look forward to seeing similar colorations in ghosts.

Hi

Yes, the Metallyticus splendidus are very beautiful, I can try to upload some pics later;)

Best regards paul

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the idolo has some wild colors in the most variations. Black and gold at l1 to a pink and white l2 and slowly changing 2 an awsome green and black. That's a huge color range in my oppinion

Metallicus splendidus are simply awesome, hard to beat that for pure color! But Like Hazed Shaman I have a soft spot for the Idolo and there wide ever changing color schemes, L1 Black, L2 and 3 Purple with pink and white, L4 to sub adult tan, and finally Adult!

Not the best quality shots but you get the Idea...

zDSCF0058.jpg

DSCF0532.jpg

i like the Metallyticus splendidus , reminds me of the japanase beetle colors, which I hate the beetles, but like the color, the orchid as a youngster is fav, b ut adults are boring

Metallytics are amazingly colored but they rnt in the hobby... which seems unbelieable because of their colors. Almost look like a tiger beetle... minus the large cream colored jaws oh and congrats angelofdeath on a successful ooth laying.