Best species for tropical vivariums?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bentis

Reaction score
I'm looking to redo one of my older vivariums as well as creating a new one.  I was wondering what are a few mantis species that thrive best in a high humidity tropical vivarium.  Thanks!

Orchids love high humidity, and I think that the Giant Rainforest Mantis (aka Hierodula majuscula) would be perfect for a vivarium because of its size.

- MantisGirl13

I think you have to be careful with hierodula, as theyre more sensitive to high humidity. I have to keep my venosa 40 to 60 pct and super well ventilated. Panterra's care sheet for hierodula contraindicates vivariums.

Now, rhombodera is kept more humid than hierodula. I keep them just like my orchids, minus the heat lamps. Theyd love the heat lamps too, tho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for the suggestions.  I tend to stick with the smaller sized vivariums (8x8x12).  The larger species might find it a bit cramped.

A vivarium that size sounds perfect for a sub adult/ adult female orchid mantis. Idk of any other smaller species that love high humidity.

- MantisGirl13