Best Strategy of Amputation

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sinensispsyched

Reaction score
Well, I have a chinese mantis whose raptorial needs to be amputated. I want to know the best way to make it less painful and to keep a minimum flow of hemolymph. How should I do this?

I used a small scissors from a Swiss army knife to to cut at the elbow area of my passed prosthesis female Religiosa. The small scissors allows better precision when cutting. If you have a good small and pointy scissors, that's the one i recommend.

Painful it will always be (that is of course if the theory of insects feeling pain is true). Be sure to cut at the joints only, where the tissue is soft. It will be quicker and easier.

When i amputated my female I was expecting intense bleeding but instead there was only a small droplet at the cut area, which soon dried and darken.

But just to be sure I suggest you get yourself a pair of tweezers and small pieces of paper towel. if the hemolymph starts dripping try stopping the bleeding with the paper towel. If only a tiny droplet shows up let it be. When dried it will create a barrier against any microscopic hazards.

The bleeding might vary depending on where you want to cut.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sharp and short scissors work well.Take your time and be sure of the part you want to amputate.Choose the right angle and cut off,you do not need to wide open the scissors,just be quick.If well done your mantis should not even feel it.

It is actually better to see a bit of hemolymph,

If this is not objectionable instead of anesthetic, you can try placing the mantid in the freezer for a minute or so and this will slow things down a bit. If there is not much hemolymph flow anyway, the colder the environment that you are in when the amputation takes place, the better for all.

OK, thanks all!

I have swiss army knife scissors, I want to know how close to the body I can get, since the entire femur is messed up, too. It's really dragging him down. I'll try to cut as close as I can to the joint in the "yellow" are between their forearms.

EDIT: Headed into the operation, I was afraid it'd be like 127 Hours. However, the operation was quite easy, and that REALLY screwed up leg isn't on the way of his other legs.

Latest posts