Best Substrate

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i find that sphagnum moss and moss on top maintains moister VERY well even if you dont mist a whole day it will keep the humidity up and its REAL cheap. Try it and if it doesnt work than you didnt waste much money :whistling: but i only use on my larger tanks. on the deli cups i use organic paper towel so theres no chemicals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use aquarium fish tank filter sponge stuff for my larger mantids, paper towel for deli cup ones. The sponge is in 2L containers so the mantis very rarely are down the bottom to strike and get their claws stuck in it.

But paper towel is a very viable option. If you are worried about the infertility thing use organic untreated paper towels. Newspaper and anything white will have chemical treatments used on it for smell, colour and texture. Newspapers are actually toxic to humans because of the ink used ;)

I like to glue my paper towel down with a hot glue gun, this prevents anything going under it (feeders or mantis, the mantids can sometimes get stuck under paper towels and die especially when young). I use minimal glue so I can remove & replace it once per week or as needed.

I use sponges. Cover the whole bottom with it. It hold moisture well and feeders can't hide. However, when mantids strike at feeders mantid claws can get stuck in the sponge a little. Mantids usually get them free pretty easy though.
Seconded. I found a 1" sponge cushion at Hobby Lobby (I'm sure any craft store would have it) that I can cut to fit my containers.

I use aspen snake bedding for all my mantids, its fairly cheap, light colour so feeder insects that try to hide are easily spotted, keeps humity up and its incredibly clean, absorbs odors aswell. I replace mine maybe once every 6 months and ive never had a problem with it.

http://www.reptilesu...products_id=679
Clicked your link and my firefox add-on "invisible hand" told me it is $1 cheaper at this site. Exact same stuff, might save you some money in the future. Or download the add-on (it has saved me about $500 in 2 years from online shopping)

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM256731459P?sid=I0084400010000100600&aff=Y <- link to cheaper site

http://www.getinvisiblehand.com/ <- link to add-on that will save you hundreds :D

Oh I don't buy it online, I just googled aspen snake bedding to give a link to the stuff :p

I get mine for $7 a bag at a local reptile place.

Paper towels for small cups, but for something bigger MOSS! It holds mositure the best that ive seen and doesnt mold as easy, becuase it breathes better.

Good thread! I'm working on my nano tall exo terra and will be using live plants for it. Looking forward to using moss. Also, I read somewhere there are certain bugs you can use as some sort of cleaning crew for the poops and dead feeder parts, any info on this? Going to check a reptile store soon for other substrate options like that snake bedding whatislove uses.

Good thread! I'm working on my nano tall exo terra and will be using live plants for it. Looking forward to using moss. Also, I read somewhere there are certain bugs you can use as some sort of cleaning crew for the poops and dead feeder parts, any info on this? Going to check a reptile store soon for other substrate options like that snake bedding whatislove uses.
Springtails, make sure you get the right type. Either temperate for a colder temp enclosure or tropical if a warmer one. They will need a layer of charcoal in the substrate to proliferate and you can buy them online from lots of places.

I always use dirt for my substrate and change it only if there is alot of dead bug carcassess lying about in my mantids tank or critter keeper and since dirt is the easiest to replace just go outside and pour out the old dirt and get some fresh dirt and the job is done and have used this for the three years I been in the hobby and only use paper towels when hatching ooths in deli cups but other then that I use fresh dirt outside which is free and is in abundance everywhere!

As long as it has no pesticides or such in the ingredients or such then it should be ok!

I first put small well rinsed river rocks (Lowes), then I mixed NEW potting soil (no fertilizer in it) with some well sifted regular Eastern N.C. dirt. (about 2/3 potting soil) I used the potting soil for moisture containment and the rocks below just in case it needed to "breath" a little bit. When I mist the sides it runs down and is absorbed very quickly. They seem to like the sides being misted and not a general misting where THEY would get wet, they also seem to prefer to drink off the sides. (I've also got a sponge for them to drink from) I started out with just paper towels and just thought a fall may be too hard so I'm just trying to "mimmick" Mother Nature.

For me its as simple as this :

Small deli cups, i use paper towel

Larger containers, say exo terras, i use dirt, then thin layer of moss on top.

I've actually been curious about running a humidifier on a low setting for several hours a day. Are their any known problems with this? You would still have to spray once in a while (depending on species and stage of mantid), but, cleaning/hassle would seem easier in the long run. How often does falling (non-molting) injuries occur? I've never witnessed one, but, I am also new to the hobby.

Crazy! Any idea if newspaper or blank art newsprint would do the same? The only chemical treatment paper towels get that I know of is bleach, so using something recycled and unbleached might be better. Maybe?
theres a lot of things people use in tanks....like styrofoam....that are endocrine system disruptors and can cause fertility issues. Non bleached papaer towels are safe. bleached paper towels arent exactly treated with bleach alone, there are many different chemicals at play.

Latest posts