Best way to get a budwing mantis too flair up?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure about budwings, but I had a female Carolina mantis a couple years back, and all I had to do was bump my finger on her forelegs a bunch of times and she'd shoot her arms out and flare her wings. Have you tried that with a budwing?

Last edited by a moderator:
Best way to get her to flair up easily is tap her on her head or back end lightly a few times or maybe put her in front of a mirror and her reflection may get her upset!

Best way to get her to flair up easily is tap her on her head or back end lightly a few times or maybe put her in front of a mirror and her reflection may get her upset!
LOL, I'll try the mirror thing!

I don't like pinching a mantid to make it flair. Instead, I put it inside a jar(closed) and have a chicken peck the jar. If you don't have a chicken, put it outside in a shaded area were birds frequent. The birds that eat insects will definitely attempt to make a meal of it only to be blocked by the jar (downside: this might take a while). Those are some of the things that can make a mantid flair.

Just tell your little guy/girl, their mom was a home wrecker that slept around with other mantis, and she ate your daddy! always works for me. :D

Or yeah, I guess you can just slap them around if you like. :blink: