Best way to give fruit flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lylelovett666

Reaction score
So I have around 150 newly hatched bws and it's come time to begin feeding.Is there a method for doing this that will not allow flies to run amok every time.What is the best way to transfer the flies to the spiders,so to speak,without a massive escape.

Thanx

Do you know that you can "freezer stun" the flies in the freezer minute or more and you can handle them as you please till they revive. The time in the freezer varies as to the species of floy and your particular freezer setting. The recovery time can also vary, but you must be pretty quick to move them where you want them to go or they will start moving about within a minute or so.

I build myself an Kind of Exhaustor (shalls in german).(don´t know what it shalls like in english).

You can bought you self an Aquatics tube and a pantyhous or tights.

Now you have to attach the tights over one end of the tube.

An so you can absorb the flies and one one will flyx away.

Of course the flies box had an flexcover with an hole.

(Sry for my bad english.)

SAM_1649_Converted.JPG

SAM_1648_Converted.JPG

SAM_1647_Converted.JPG

SAM_1645_Converted.JPG

SAM_1646_Converted.JPG

SAM_1644_Converted.JPG

SAM_1643_Converted.JPG

First, you need a lid on your mantis container with a hole in it that will fit a wide plastic

powder funnel (I will post a pic when I get home).

Simply place the funnel on the nymph jar and tap the ff's into the funnel.

Turn the ff's jar right side up while continuing to tap, so no more ff's will come out, and

quickly put the stopper in the hole.

With some practice, you get pretty good at it ;)

That's the way I do it, until someone gives me a better way.

Do a search for this. The topic comes up all the time. I have an easy technique that works well but I've posted it so many times you should be able to find it with the search.

I build myself an Kind of Exhaustor (shalls in german).(don´t know what it shalls like in english).

You can bought you self an Aquatics tube and a pantyhous or tights.

Now you have to attach the tights over one end of the tube.

An so you can absorb the flies and one one will flyx away.

Of course the flies box had an flexcover with an hole.

(Sry for my bad english.)
I think it's called a "pooter". I make something similar with straws.