Big surprise!!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

darkspeed

Reaction score
Last September my younger brother bought an adult male emperor scorpion. After about a month he decided to get him a mate and bought what we were told to be an adult female of the species from a pet store out of town. However when they were put in the same enclosure the female tried deperately to kill the male every chance she got, so we took het to our local pet store where we were told that we had gotten a another adult male by mistake. In comparison though, the second scorpion was almost twice the mass of the original male that we had bought. So we put them in seperate containers and kept them apart for nearly 7 months. The larger scorpion was a complete recluse, hiding in its burrow for weeks at a time without coming out, but as long as the crickets dissappeared on a regular basis we knew it was eating and therefore healthy. Then last night I finally saw it emerge from its lair and I'll be damned if it wasnt followed by a whole crew of baby scorpions. :blink: So she really was a she after all... She was already fertilized and carrying a clutch the whole time. No wonder she didnt want anything to do with our male. :p So now we have 7 scorpion nymphs on top of two adults and a horde of mantids. At least we got something to eat all these dang cricket nymphs that hatched last week :lol:

Awesome! It sounds like they had already left moms back?
Yeah... she had them in there for a pretty long time without us knowing. She ate alot!! She was huge! We appropritely named her Tank because of her size and it fit since the male was named Dozer for his burrowing abilities. We were constantly having to put crickets in with her. The crickets lived in there with her for along time and even spawned new generations in her enclosure. But the adults always dissappeared rather quickly so we just thought she was a beast. We didnt know she was feeding a family. Now that the little ones are off her back soon they will be catching their own prey if they arent already.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, that is a great surprise indeed! Okay now all you have to do is send a few my way. ;)

Thanks again

Mikhail