Bites

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Weird. Never got seriously bitten by a mantis, maybe because i only keep Europeans? They do prefer to run away or in rare occasions they strike my fingers, but it's so lightning fast that i barely feel the strike. The only time they strike badly is when i grab them. Some seem to be more tolerant to being grabbed than others though.

That's what my mantid did! She was just resting on my hand and for no apparent reason leaned forward and bit me! I can understand them feeling threatened and biting when being picked up, or biting a finger thinking it's some kind of prey, but it was out of nowhere.
She sensed something on your hand. It could have been moisture, temp change, something else you handled, or just something about your skin itself that got her curious so she decided to take a taste. Now sometimes it is a sign they are thirsty but not always. Some will only lightly give a tickle nibble, never breaking skin, but others will give it a solid chomp. I've noticed some species are more prone to this sort of behavior and within species certain individuals are more prone to it than others.Usually you can tell they are thinking about it because their antennae will start to move up and down in a pulsating manner and then they will tilt their heads to look down before finally bending down. If I see one of mine is thinking about it I always just stick a little something not edible like bottom of my shirt or napkin, whatever is on hand, between where they are leaning over my skin. Usually they loose interest pretty quickly.

She sensed something on your hand. It could have been moisture, temp change, something else you handled, or just something about your skin itself that got her curious so she decided to take a taste. Now sometimes it is a sign they are thirsty but not always. Some will only lightly give a tickle nibble, never breaking skin, but others will give it a solid chomp. I've noticed some species are more prone to this sort of behavior and within species certain individuals are more prone to it than others.

Usually you can tell they are thinking about it because their antennae will start to move up and down in a pulsating manner and then they will tilt their heads to look down before finally bending down. If I see one of mine is thinking about it I always just stick a little something not edible like bottom of my shirt or napkin, whatever is on hand, between where they are leaning over my skin. Usually they loose interest pretty quickly.
Thank you for your response! You definitely satisfied my curiosity about this.

They will bite. And i'm guilty of flinging once or twice :whistle:
Ooh, I don't think I've ever flung a mantid for a bite, but my poor bessbug bit me and I flung it across the room. It's still alive though. I did fling a mantid once because it got partially squished on my arm, and I just flipped.

It does seem like some are more likely to bite than others. I think it's just a matter of personality more than species. They only do it when I'm really bugging them.

My last adult female wahlbergii nibbled me once or twice but didn't draw blood,The only other time one of my mantis has nipped with its claws is my old female theophilia-she just liked to let me know who was boss haha

I do animal rescue. afte being bitten by snakes, lizards, rats and mice...the mantis bite did not cause a reaction. just a "'once you are done there better be a finger still there or you are screwed. becuase that is momma's tigger finger."

I have been guilty of the flinging action. Who says a fat gravid female can't fly? :lol:
Oh my... lol.

I've kept 13 species now and none of them have ever bitten me, although I don't push it when the adult idolos fling their arms up and hiss :) I've also never kept Cilnia.

im also guilty of the fling action.my first mantis i had in captivity last year grabbed my finger when i opened the top of its cage and my reflex kicked in lol.

Oh my... lol.

I've kept 13 species now and none of them have ever bitten me, although I don't push it when the adult idolos fling their arms up and hiss :) I've also never kept Cilnia.
They can hiss? That would scare the heck out of me! Quote from the wiki page:

"As part of the threat display, some species also may produce a hissing sound by expelling air from the abdominal spiracles."

did it hurt? leave a hole etc etc

do they go voluntarily let go or did you have to force it loose
My mantid has bitten me more than once. She only does it though when I have just eaten because she thinks my hand is the source of the smell which she finds tasty. My mantid is a Stagmomantis Limbata, a smaller species of mantid (mine is 3" legs included, 2.5" body alone). Her bites don't hurt unless she keeps doing it in the same place, working at it.

My mantid has bitten me more than once. She only does it though when I have just eaten because she thinks my hand is the source of the smell which she finds tasty. My mantid is a Stagmomantis Limbata, a smaller species of mantid (mine is 3" legs included, 2.5" body alone). Her bites don't hurt unless she keeps doing it in the same place, working at it.
Also she does not stop voluntarily, I usually get her to stop just by removing her claws (which she grips your skin with while she thinks she's going to eat you). Then she can't bite because she doesn't have a grip. If she doesn't listen you can also use real food to coax her into releasing you and going for the prey