Black Goopy Spots on Back?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macawlover2

Reaction score
A few days ago I had a Lineola molt into an adult (yay!) but she has some weird black spots on her back, as pictured. I think it may bea wound from falling shortly after molting... But it hasn't scabbed over, hardened up, or anything really. I don't know to describe it as "goopy" or "squishy". Is this normal? She's acting just fine, hasn't eaten yet though. I assume this is because she's still hardening up from her molt.

Is there anything i can do to prevent infection, or should i just wait it out?

Picture010.jpg

Sorry ... you should have to wait it out.

But this mustn´t be a problem!

Greets C.Jakob

Aha, I just showed her to the Entomology professor and she said the black stuff is Phenoloxidase, which is an antibiotic they produce if they injure/scratch themselves. It provides defense against microbial infections, so she'll be just fine! :) Thanks for your help too, redsnow

Aha, I just showed her to the Entomology professor and she said the black stuff is Phenoloxidase, which is an antibiotic they produce if they injure/scratch themselves. It provides defense against microbial infections, so she'll be just fine! :) Thanks for your help too, redsnow
Good for you for being proactive on this, ML! Are you sure though, that your professor said that Phenoloxidase is an antibiotic, or did she say that it protects against infection? My knowledge of insect biochemistry is scanty at best, but so far as I know, the "black ooze" is a blood (hemolymph) clot that will harden and stop bacteria and fungi from entering the wound. Phenoloxidase, an important component of the clot, is, so far as I know, simply a sclerotizing or tanning agent that helps harden the skin,of a newly molted (teneral) mantis or other insect.

Last edited by a moderator:
PhillinYuma- You are absolutely correct. That sounds exactly like what she said, I just couldn't remember it correctly until you summarized that for me! I think she said it acted like an antibiotic, but must not have said it actually was one because I'm going with your knowledge over my memory. :lol:

Latest posts