Black liquid from abdomen?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-.-LIndsey-.-

Reaction score
Hi! My mantid is an adult and recently she laid an ootheca without being mated (I disposed of it) and she ate 3 super worms (small size) she's been fine but today I noticed she has black dots on some of her cage leaves and she was hanging from the top of the cage, her butt dripping of black liquid, is she okay?

Here is some images 

b5e42799-b738-4365-8ffa-aba68790927d.jpg

64be6548-042c-4ac5-99ad-d58a7dd702cf.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@-.-LIndsey-.-She might be sick from a bad feeder, unfortunately I've read that black from both ends could be fatal. I would try and give her a lot of water. I personally flavor it with honey, my mantids like that, plus raw organic honey is supposed to be good for them. I've had one of mine throw up and have diarrhea and it got better, hopefully yours does too. 

@-.-LIndsey-.- It is a concern for sure, and can be a sign of a serious health problem (but we will treat it as a digestive issue as the other possible problem is treated the same if it can help). Just watch that the liquid does not harden on the mantids mouth or anus as it will lead to further issues.

The best thing you can do is feed the mantid some 100% pure honey, as it will give the mantid a boost of energy and to help with any digestive problems. Do so by putting honey on a toothpick and offering it to your mantid, if it does not readily eat the honey then rub it on it's forearms (it will promptly clean/eat the honey then).

I would also suggest to offer the mantid another feeder item, such as crickets/cockroaches/bottle flies/BSF flies/or similar. As the problem can be caused from the feeder eating something that turned it toxic to your mantid, or your mantid is suffering from a lack of nutrition that the super worms are not providing it (and why most keepers try to offer at least two types of prey to avoid nutritional issues).

@CosbyArt the black has been gone. She's been doing fine for 3 days, no black, it's all good. 
That is great, and was just a bout of diarrhea then from a feeder.

The help offered previously would still help her digestion and get back her energy, and prevent future problems. Hopefully you don't run into any more problems though. :)

Latest posts