Black Solider Fly Adventures Round 2

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamonger

Reaction score
After doing a lot more research, getting fed up with the giant fly cage in my house taking up an immense amount of room, and hating having to dig about to find the larva to feed my reptiles I decided it was time for a 2.0 fly bin to be built.

I started by picking up a new container at Walmart. It was called a "showoff" I believe and was the only container that was taller then it was wide and looked like it would work for the new setup. Its intended function was to hold file folders.

I then used my trusty dremel to cut windows in 3 of the 4 sides as well as the top. I affixed fine mesh to all the windows to make the area for the flies to live in. I sunk the top of a 32oz deli cup into the last windowless side and fitted a pantyhose stocking over it as an means to get to the flies or to insert food. As the pantyhose is just pulled tight over the opening I can replace this easily any time it gets gross.
I also added a spigot so I can drain any excess moisture as well as a little foam plugged hole in the lid to allow me to manually dump more worms into the pupating area if not enough of them make it up there. 

RAssBuk.jpg

As I was planning to make this new setup self harvesting (ie: keep it moist) I needed a dry place for the worms to pupae into flies. So I set up two different ramps. One goes up to a separate little area that will be filled with dry cocofibre for pupating and the other will lead to an outside container to be used to collect some to use as feed for my reptiles.
There is a ring of adhesive velcro around the entire inside to keep the worms from crawling up the sides forcing them to choose the ramps as a means of escape.
As always the substrate for the worms is used coffee grounds and some tea leaves. 
I forgot to add some corrugated cardboard for the adults to lay their eggs in and will add that in asap. I intend to make some bundles and use the velcro around the inside to stick it to. 

McagxXW.jpg

With all that hard work done it was time to fill it! If I had any doubts about the success of my first set up they were squashed when I started digging out worms to seed the new one. WAY more then would ever fit in this tinier setup. Those apples won't know what hit them!

tECx1gm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW , I am impressed xlnt pic lay out .  I was contemplating what design to use and yours shows that you have it figured out.... no problem with plagiarism ............ SS

Hopefully your version 2.0 solves the digging larva out,and size issue. It looks great, keep us informed on how it does. :)

Minor Update: The worms that are ready to pupate are indeed finding their way slowly into the collection bin. None have made it up the steeper ramp to the pupating area but I expected that have been using the extra hole I made to put a handful in there so I have some breeding stock. So far so good the bin is keeping good and moist and it still only smells like coffee which is great!

Do you start out with purchased larvae, or lure in adults to lay eggs? I have three "biopod" type containers...and have found that some years they crank like crazy and other years, like this one (very, very hot) the adults are few and far between.

@ignatz My area does not have a native population of black solider flies so I had to buy larva to start from from the reptile feeder suppliers. No reason you can't lure in adults if you have them in your area. I know one of the bin construction links is created just for that purpose. In most cases however people just want the larva, we want the flies so we need to make the bins a bit larger to give the flies room to live and be harvested.

I actually just cleaned out my old bin and just before I did it had another fly population boom (despite my not feeling them anything new for like a month!), 100s of flies were fun to move from one bin to another :p  

Latest posts