Black Widow Found this Morning!!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pilotdave1970

Reaction score
I went outside to capture some flies and found a female Black Widow on my door basking in the sun. I will keep her. She has some white markings on her back abdomen and the red hour glass on the bottom of her abdomen. I was shocked to find her......Any advice on how to keep her would be greatly appreciated. I can Google some info. on her for now.

Dave

I went outside to capture some flies and found a female Black Widow on my door basking in the sun. I will keep her. She has some white markings on her back abdomen and the red hour glass on the bottom of her abdomen. I was shocked to find her......Any advice on how to keep her would be greatly appreciated. I can Google some info. on her for now.Dave
well don't get bitten. just keep her in a small cage where she can spin a web and throw a fly or something in the web every now and then! :)

I went outside to capture some flies and found a female Black Widow on my door basking in the sun. I will keep her. She has some white markings on her back abdomen and the red hour glass on the bottom of her abdomen. I was shocked to find her......Any advice on how to keep her would be greatly appreciated. I can Google some info. on her for now.Dave
Now that it's getting cold by you, Dave, she was hoping that you'd open the door and let her in! A small fish tank with a lid or a cricket keeper with screen added if necessary will work fine. Feed her whatever you feed your medium sized mantids. Southern AZ is serious black widow country, but I never heard of anyone who got bitten. Just keep her somewhere where your little one can't reach.

Will do, thanks for the instruction. She is in a pretty good size Deli salad cup with a tight fit lid for now, one of the tall ones. She is pretty Calm now and I put a cricket in with her.

She has some white stripes on her back?

Be very carful to not get bit and be carful she doesn't ecape the cage they are poisonious.

When I was a kid I use to catch grasshoppers with a friend in Colorado. We'd burn them with magnifying glasses (we were kids) and stick them in the front of ant colonies to watch them be torn apart. At any rate, while on one of these bug hunts we did encounter a black widow along the side of my friend's house. As I recall, when we threw a cricket on the web the black widow jumped out with lightning speed. I'd be very careful, as you may be surprised as to how fast it may try to escape. Good luck!

The Black widow only injects a small amount of venom so you wont get killled, but if you get bitten seek in=mergancy help as soon as possible. Try not to get bitten or you may pay expensive hospital bills.

Latest posts