Blatta lateralis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

more_rayne

Reaction score
Cleaned out my stinky roach bin, thought I'd take a video of it. Watch in 1080P for maximum grossness ;)Cleaned out my stinky roach bin, thought I'd take a video of it. Watch in 1080P for maximum grossness ;)

It is sort of creepy when I see a culture with that large a population. :eek:

For now, I have been keeping my cultures small.

I try not to collect or breed so many "eaters" so I won't need that many "feeders". lol

Knowing my nature, I will probably end up with too many of both, no matter how hard I try to control myself. :devil:

I bought these as tiny babies because I was desperate at the time and needed feeders. Now they've all grown up and don't have enough mantids to eat them all. Collected a bunch of eggs, but I've always had problems with them not hatching. I seriously need the eggs to hatch, got a bunch of hungry ghosts to feed.

I bought these as tiny babies because I was desperate at the time and needed feeders. Now they've all grown up and don't have enough mantids to eat them all. Collected a bunch of eggs, but I've always had problems with them not hatching. I seriously need the eggs to hatch, got a bunch of hungry ghosts to feed.
That has been how it goes for me with my Blaberus, on and off. But they can be too big for all but the largest species of mantids.

Sometimes I don't feel like I have enough, and sometimes I feel overrun.

I recently obtained some Phoetalia pallida and I hope that their small size and active behavior will come in handy when I have small mantid nymphs. The pallid roaches kind of scare me because they are fast and can climb, not to mention my roach friendly climate over here in S. Florida.

I am lucky enough to have a seemingly endless supply of Pycnoscelus surinamensis that I can hunt up outdoors, but they have been too much of a pain in the butt for me to keep in cultures, and they always hide.