Blowfly aka Bluebottle

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use canned dog food and just get a mix of flies by leaving it outside in my shed.

I dump a can of chunky dog food in a large bucket that contained cat litter and that goes into a trash barrel with cornmeal or tamale flour at the bottom.

I only allow flies to lay eggs for a day or two and then cover the trashcan with a sheer curtain for ventilation and to keep out flies.

When the maggots get their fill and are ready to pupate, they will crawl up and out of the medium and fall into the flour which dries them up and keeps them from escaping the trash can.

Then I just sift out the spikes and reuse the flour.
Wow clever!

I breed at the moment

Blue bottle (Calliphora vomitoria)

house flies (Musca domestica)

Curly wing house flies. (Musca domestica)

Both types of flightless fruit flies.

If you give them to much food it can smell. Its a lot of man hours. Also you need to have a container that has a lot of air flow and wide opening. The maggots can over heat themselves and will die within minutes.
I have bred these all as well and, as it goes with man hours, I completely agree. You can easily spend 10x as long raising feeders than catching a glimpse of the mantids that you wanted to raise to begin with.

Since I started my outdoor housefly rearing project, the time spent rearing these critters has dramatically decreased as has my wife's desire to strangle me for making our house stink. (=

Yes, I agree! :) . I keep the curly wings inside because I don't want them to mix with outside flies. I don't get any smell from them, other than it smells like fresh hamster bedding.

Labor and time involved= $$ ??

with all due respect Rick, anyway you cut the cake the hobby is just that... I see no point in that remark.

not free to someone's mom?

you've mistaken someone for a child still living under their parents roof? I'm a grown man with my own. Just so that's clear.

I do not know how financial got into this thread but I'm pretty sure its about breeding a type of fly...

I'm also sure for that same price for spikes plus shipping I could in fact have the supply I needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Labor and time involved= $$ ??

with all due respect Rick, anyway you cut the cake the hobby is just that... I see no point in that remark.

not free to someone's mom?

you've mistaken someone for a child still living under their parents roof? I'm a grown man with my own. Just so that's clear.

I do not know how financial got into this thread but I'm pretty sure its about breeding a type of fly...

I'm also sure for that same price for spikes plus shipping I could in fact have the supply I needed.
I know, we are talking about breeding flies, it was an innocent question you asked and wasnt deserving of any rude remarks. Kind advice would have been better.

What do you do with the wood chips and chicken feed? Isit mash or pellets? Thanks!

I use lots of wood chips and chicken feed. There is enough protein in that to get big blue bottles. Almost no smell, as long as you checking daily and making sure you add just the right amount of food to it. Just enough for them to eat in one day. Yes there wings are literally curly. You have to let any flying ones out of the container when you see them and let the curly winged ones keep breeding.

They wont lay there eggs on the food I make them. Use a small container with some paper towel and add milk. Change out daily and place paper towel on food for eggs to hatch and when they hatch remove paper towel. I only use the milk for them to lay. I don't use animal protein in the food I make for them.

Its not just any chicken feed. You have to get the one with high calcium and protein. I also add whole grains to it. I add water and then add the wood chips and mix... done.

I was gonna say that Rick, so in respect they are not free, and when u think of the time involved, great cost is involved, but hey go for it, u may like it

or may kick yourself to the curb like I did when I tried it and could not get close enough to harvest them due to the smell!!!

MikhailsDinos, thanks for your help! Definitely going to just rear my own (despite others beliefs...) id rather have what I need on deck, than have to wait around and play " cat and mouse" with breeders and mail carrier goof ups.

You welcome! I have small refrigerator full of pupa right now. Its not just the mantis that eat them, but the chameleons LOVE blue bottle flies.I also have 3 different species of roaches. So having free food is the only way for me and I enjoy breeding flies.

It's easy and saves money, plain and simple. Y'all nay-sayers can keep on spending excess cash on shipping feeders, but I will not. When shipping is more costly than what's being shipped, it's a NO GO for me.

When you live in a city slicker area and feed a lot of mantis, culturing BB isnt realistic.. I set up a trap in the summer time because i know someone working at a local meat market, i ask him to set a trap by their dumpsters every week. This is an ideal way to get bb for completely cost free lol except some pb a funnel and a 32oz soda bottle.

MikhailsDinos, thanks for your help! Definitely going to just rear my own (despite others beliefs...) id rather have what I need on deck, than have to wait around and play " cat and mouse" with breeders and mail carrier goof ups.
Agreed, id rather just have what i need right there.

It's easy and saves money, plain and simple. Y'all nay-sayers can keep on spending excess cash on shipping feeders, but I will not. When shipping is more costly than what's being shipped, it's a NO GO for me.
Exactly

Concerning the wood chips - both a high protein source and a high fiber source is needed for the fly larvae to develop effectively. Though milk is not always required for fly ovipositing (egg laying) either some fresh media that larvae have recently inhabited or milk-soaked tissue encourage the flies to lay in the correct location.

Out of curiosity, MikhailsDinos, where did you come across the curly-winged musca domestica?

The last time I got them they were shipped to me from England. The gentleman who shipped them to me had some secret vegetarian formula for his media - which smelled quite good - though I could never figure out what vegetable material would have enough protein and fiber for housefly larvae to live off of. I currently used blended Purina Puppy chow (high protein) with wheat bran - which seems to work great - though it does take a week for the culture to really start attracting flies in mass.

-Jay

I got mine from the UK. Not many survived the trip. But they easy to breed and have lots now. You just cannot get the curly wings here in the US. So the only way is to breed. The mix I'm using has almost no smell and smells just like the medium they use in the UK. I'm sure it's very similar. I've been breeding flies now for 6 years and love testing new things and what I do now works so well my girl does not even notice the flies in the house. I think the fruit flies smell worse.

I'm glad someone else has them! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got mine from the UK. Not many survived the trip. But they easy to breed and have lots now. You just cannot get the curly wings here in the US. So the only way is to breed. The mix I'm using has almost no smell and smells just like the medium they use in the UK. I'm sure it's very similar. I've been breeding flies now for 6 years and love testing new things and what I do now works so well my girl does not even notice the flies in the house. I think the fruit flies smell worse.

I'm glad someone else has them! :)
Well.... I had them. I no longer raise these just because of the time requirement. Though raising and harvesting airborne houseflies can be a bit of a pain (transferring them in and out of the fridge), the time I spent on my curly-winged is what partially drove me out of the hobby the first time. Perhaps if I had everything automated, it would have not been so bad, but when it came down to flies vs. my wife and 4 children the choice was pretty obvious. Getting back into the hobby I had to ensure that the essential chores relating raising feeders required minimal attention and, more importantly, time.

If you have a really efficient system for starting up your curly-winged you should try supplying these to researchers. I had a lady doing research on frogs contact me a couple of years ago asking me if I still cultured the curly-winged variety. She needed a non-flying variant to get exact weight measurements for the flies in the study she was doing.

Mikhailsdinos, thank you thank you!! Ive been looking for something to raise bluebottles that dont stink. I live in an apartment complex and anything smelly is a big no no.

Latest posts