Blue Bottle Flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casperpage

Reaction score
Do any of you feed Blue Bottle Flies to your Matids? If so what do you use to get them to pupate?

Thanks.

Yes. For me they are a primary food. Not sure what you are asking. If I buy the spikes I just keep them in a container and they pupate pretty quickly.

I take them out of the fridge and put them in the cage with my mantis and they just die. I've tried putting them in other containers with food. in other containers with nothing. and they all just die. figured I was doing something wrong.

That's the same thing I do. Buy spikes leave them at room temp and they pupate after 1-3 days. After 7-14 days they emerge as adult flies.

I take them out of the fridge and put them in the cage with my mantis and they just die. I've tried putting them in other containers with food. in other containers with nothing. and they all just die. figured I was doing something wrong.
What are you keeping in the fridge? Flies, spikes, or pupae? I've never had problems with BB's before.

I buy several hundred at a time. I put them in a deli cup. I take out a bunch and put them in a bigger deli cup. When they hatch I hand them out to everyone.

You should be able to just take out the amount you need, place into a container, and let them be. They should pupate within a week at which point you can just wait until they eclose. I feed the adults honey.

Thanks for all the advice. I finally had one hatch last night. She caught that bad boy almost instantly!

Latest posts