Blue Bottle Fly Culture

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

x0jennalee0x

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm looking to try and start a blue bottle culture but I'm not really sure where to start and I'm not finding too much information on this. Is anyone familiar with the process and how to do it? Thanks!

Blue Bottle fly culturing isn't for the squeamish. 😁Check out this short clip for an idea of what's involved. Most people don't culture their own because they can't stomach dealing with raw rotting fish and other meats that are used. I don't believe there is a way to culture BBF without rotting meat. 

Last edited by a moderator:
In the summer you could keep an outdoor culture without too much nastiness, but like Ohio, Pennsylvania has cold winters.  Moving the project indoors does not seem practical.

I culture blue bottles in the warmer months in the pollytunnel. I just throw old bones and half eaten rabbit heads from the ferrets cages onto a plastic microwave dish. Let the flies lay their eggs and when the tray is walking inside I shake the maggots off the bones and dump the contents into a small plastic bin with soil in it and pop the lid on it. In the heat of summer I take them out and put them in the shade as the maggots cook if its too hot. Iv loads of chinese mantis in the polly tunnel so I just open the tub and let some out every few days to feed them all. 

Latest posts