blue bottlefly pupa getting stuck when emerging

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mystymantis

Reaction score
I keep having this problem where the blue bottle fly are unable to escape their pupae cases and then die with their heads barely out of the pupa case. Is there anyway to minimize this? I know it is probably natural for it to happen sometimes but I hate losing so many of my feeders to this. what type of enclosure should blue bottle fly pupa be in for optimum pupa hatching? Do they need a substrate or anything like excelsior wool or coconut fiber?

Is this possibly happening because there isn't enough humidity in their container for them to hatch properly? I spray the container every few days to try and keep it humid. The pupa are currently in a wide low plastic container with no substrate. I have no problems when it is warmer so maybe it is just the low humidity of the colder season that has been giving me this problem.

What type of containers do people use for hatching blue bottle fly pupae normally?

I use a clean empty water bottle with some pin holes at the top around8 at least. They hatch fine inthere, I do not mist at all. There is enough moisture made by their body heat that it oftens gets pretty wet inside and then I open the lid to let air in and put in fridge. After putting in fridge you can take a pencil and put some paper towelling around it and place inside the bottle to clear off some of the water drops that are there. This of course is after they are cooled off so they dont' fly out. Make sure to lay the bottle on its side with your holes pointing up. 

I've had that happen plenty of times, but it seems to happen less if I put a small piece of damp paper towel in with the pupae after taking them out of my fridge. No substrate, just a plastic cup with mesh lid.

I noticed this happen with my house fly larvae- I’ve had a few emerge and there was one still halfway stuck inside the pupae. I do have a small piece of damp paper towel in with them. Does this just happen sometimes? Three hatched fine, one is stuck, and two others have yet to hatch. 

I've had this happen before too. Just pull the fly out of the pupa case and then feed it off while it's still alive.

- MantisGirl13

maggots get ready even in the same batch ahead of the others, these are probably a bit older and as such get stuck in the shell. I see it a lot in some in the bunch will hatch just fine and some straglers will be stuck hatching a day or more behind the rest of them.

Last edited by a moderator: