blue bottles vs. house flies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rodney

What are the advantages/disadvantages between house flies and blue bottles? Is one larger/smaller, easier to keep/raise,. Etc.

Do they gut load better/easier?

I have been using house flies and want to try blue bottles if there is a good reason to do so.

Also, I am currently raising house flies, and would want to do the same with blue bottles if I try them. Is one much harder to raise than the other?

Thanks,

Rodney

What are the advantages/disadvantages between house flies and blue bottles? Is one larger/smaller, easier to keep/raise,. Etc.Do they gut load better/easier?

I have been using house flies and want to try blue bottles if there is a good reason to do so.

Also, I am currently raising house flies, and would want to do the same with blue bottles if I try them. Is one much harder to raise than the other?

Thanks,

Rodney
Difference is only the size, and a couple more nutriences mixed in, they are stinkier to raise then the housefly.

Size is the difference. I tried houseflies once and they were too small for what I needed. I don't allow them to breed or anything I just buy the maggots so there was no smell.

I'd stick with the houseflies if they are working so well.

Never had any issues with them stinking. Where are you guys getting your from?
Hmm, it seems like you don't think a lot of things stink, Rick. I think crickets and blue bottle larvae stink but you don't. I guess that's a good thing for raising mantises. Anyway, I've gotten my blue bottle larvae from Grubco and Nick (and they look exactly like Grubco's). I thought they smelled like the dumps!

Latest posts