Blue Flash L7 - Three Color Morphs

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:D Well, I've got a long list of buyers, 4 ooths so far and both girls are still very healthy and eating like a horse. Plus I've already got a nice chunk saved from previous sales.

I'll have to look into it further but from what I understand full frame allows for better light sensitivity (less noise) as well as just better capture resolution, which is all I'm looking for. I'm not doing much else besides macro so I'm not concerned with lens compatibility, but you can still use any EF lens. Just can't use EF-S lenses because they are specific to sensor size. But from the reviews I've read you will always get better images using even a cheap lens on a full frame, than the best lens on a smaller format sensor. The MP-E 65mm is the best macro lens out there and it's just under $1,000. Between that and the Macro EF 100mm, which I already own, I'd be set.

I'm looking at showing in galleries once I get my act together (macro and other forms) so I will need full frame resolution for best results. Plus I've seen enough comparison shots to convince me it would be a worthy investment. The difference in clarity and sharpness is very noticeable. If I were just shooting to post here or elsewhere online what I have is more than adequate. But I'd like to make this a career, at least to some extent. Some people go $50,000 in debt just to get an education so $3,000 to extend the quality of my work is a drop in the bucket. It's always a gamble but I've been more productive and enjoyed photography more than anything else I've been involved with. In all seriousness, the couple grand I spent earlier this year (remember, I've only been into photography for a year now) have changed my life in a big way. I have no fear of investing further. ;)
Your main advantage with full frame and ISO is going to be most noticable in lower light shots. As you know, it's often better to open up your apature and lower your shutter

speed for best DOF. Like I said, you really cant tell much difference unless you poster size a RAW image using professioal equipment.

Many of the things you are talking about in your post are highly controversial amoung photographer snobs, and there are pros and cons both ways.

I have used both, and found that the quality of the lens is key.

I disagree with you, full frame (as far as I have experienced) is less forgiving when it comes to lenses than DSLR's in general (to a point, depending on the photo sensor and

number of usable pixcels).

It's all very complicated, and we all just want to get the best shots possible.

The bottome line is, you do not have to break the bank to get excellent photos. If you know your equipment, composition and understand lighting, you are there. ;)

P.S. your pics speak for themselves, and I am very impressed with that lens. Thank you for your advise, I know I will get some nice shots with it :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Many of the things you are talking about in your post are highly controversial amoung photographer snobs, and there are pros and cons both ways.
I've read the opposite opinion to what you have stated, but I don't think there is any controversy that a 5D Mark II will take better pics using the MP-E 65mm than the T2i with the same lens, right? Top of the line lens and higher megapixel resolution is win-win. I'm not up on what others are saying and I will look into it deeper before I throw that kind of money around, but the math seems pretty straight forward, and the best macro shots I've seen were using that combination.

I never looked into the Sigma ring because the MT-24EX gets praise all around and I lucked out and got an open-box model for almost half off! I totally lucked out on that one. I was considering the MR-14EX ring light because that was all I could afford but I ended up getting the MT-24EX for the same price. I really love how versatile it is. I highly recommend it.

I just spent the last 3 hours documenting my Rhombodera (valida?) ooth hatching! Holy cr@p! 350 nymphs! I thought they would never stop coming! I sure hope people want these... :blink:

LOL, yep, that camera and lens would be hard to beat ;)

If your Rhom's are stalli, I will buy several.

Do you have any hunting vids of your blue flashes? I have found your channel on youtube, and your vids are awesome, but I did not find any hunting vids.

I took that one at gun point.

FREEZE!!! :gun_bandana:

That first guy just molted to adult. He's expanding his wings right now...

BFa-mmolt_0510-sm.jpg
what are the organs between the eyes?