Bolbena hottentotta the smallest species in captivity

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
is that the only way to get the spring tails? I dont wanna suck on any thing with a bug in it! :( oh yea and the first new pic, he looks like curious george ha ha!
Haha, I was kinda thinking about that too. I mean, if a springtail doesn't come up, wouldn't some of the cultures odor come up?

The mantids reach 15mm when fully grown, when they hatch they are about 2mm or so.

Haha, I was kinda thinking about that too. I mean, if a springtail doesn't come up, wouldn't some of the cultures odor come up?
Well, there is some screen on the end of the tube I suck on, keeping me from sucking up the insects. The cultures actually have almost no smell to them! I know its shocking because we are all used to the super smelly, slimy fruit fly cultures! :lol:

Some of the mantids are now L4....at L4 they are only 5mm long! :blink: I'll post some pictures later on of them. ;)

Man, I have another species that can be fed only with springtails, I think I will move it to a smaller container, or else whey won't be able to catch them if springtails live only on/in the ground.

Last edited by a moderator:
pics are taking their time to upload to photobucket <_< . If I cant post them tonight expect a thread in the photo section tomorrow. B)

(Edit): There are pictures in the photo section of the forum. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
my gambians were starting to get guite a complex about their size, but now theyre feeling alot better. :p

Hi ABbuggin,

How do you keep the nymphs from escaping?

And how do you place them on the toothpick or coin for the shots? Won't they run away? I read that mantid babies are great runners and if not careful, one can end up squishing them to death. :eek:

Thanks!

Latest posts