Bought a Quincy Lab incubator for a steal

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CosbyArt

Reaction score
While me and my wife Melinda, was out for our semi-often driving around date on Tuesday (she likes exploring nearby cities, seeing the sights, and dinning out), I found a great discovery. At a Goodwill store about an hour away from here I found a cabinet incubator. I of course took it to the electronic testing area (power strip) and turned it on to the hottest setting to see if it got hot before buying it.

After several minutes I left it on the top shelf and wondered back to the nearby music section to let it heat up. Well a store employee saw it in about a minute flat and immediately unplugged it and started to move it. I rushed over and explained it needed to heat up and why I left it plugged in for a minute. She did the usual deep sigh with grumbles, not a single word, and walked off (I never have much luck with their employees).

So back to the music I went, and she promptly came back and stood by it, and a customer walked over and opened the incubator door. At which point I grabbed big handfuls of cassettes and went back to babysit the incubator and sort through the cassettes while I waited. After about 5 minutes the incubator sprang to life and really started to put out some heat. :D

For the $14.99 price tag I took it home with me (and about 25 cassettes, and a few 8 tracks too). I of course didn't know it was worth much more than maybe $100 new, but figured for $14.99 it was a great find. At home looking at the labels, and searching for it online it turns out it is a Quincy Lab Corporation incubator model 10-140. Quincy lab's still makes and sells the model, and it retails for $395.00. A look at ebay showed someone sold the same model in used condition, three incubators total in September, for $150.00 each and $50 shipping (they weight 19 pounds).

So I got a steal on the incubator for sure. :clap:

The incubator is missing the original glass mercury thermometer and rubber grommet (that fit through the top factory hole), but instead someone fastened a digital thermometer and probe into the cabinet. I like that better, and will just make a plug to fill the top hole. Over all not a spot of rust, and a little bit of dust and finger prints to be seen on it.

The incubator can be set at room temperature/ambience of +2C  to a maximum of 143.6F (62C) temperature, so it will come in handy for plenty of uses. It will do away with temperature drops by it's insulation alone, placing my ooth incubation containers inside - not to mention turning it on barely to help incubate mantid ooths, and other pets eggs, quicker. Heck if I ever get into reptiles or such it would be a lifesaver for sure. ;)

I just thought I'd share my great find, as I'm really glad to have it, and it will compliment my bug fridge for diapaused ooths and such. :D

Anyone know of other good uses besides hatching ooths?

11-15-16incubator1.jpg

11-15-16incubator2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
So cool! You can incubate all sorts of things, from mantis ooths to (if legalized) stick insect ova to plant germination. I would be jealous for one of those. How many watts does it take to power it up? How big is it? 

So cool! You can incubate all sorts of things, from mantis ooths to (if legalized) stick insect ova to plant germination. I would be jealous for one of those. How many watts does it take to power it up? How big is it? 
Thanks, I'm happy with it and should serve my needs well. :)

The sticker and websites list it as 110 Watts/115 Volts so US house wall outlet no problem (but 220V is available in any model), and the amps is only 1.04 amps. Size wise outside is 13"W X 15"H X 10.75"D, inside is 12"W X 10"H X 10"D - for a total of 0.7 cubic foot capacity - or to put it another way it holds five 32 ounce deli cups comfortably without the top shelf (I did a demo to see). ;) Of course though depending on the species and number of ooths per container, the smaller deli cups could be used too if the nymphs are transferred after hatching.

It is also +1-2C (+1.8-3.6F) accurate at holding the temperature by the analog knob. But if you want to get really fancy you could always add a external thermostat like the ones I use buy the InkBird ITC-1000F, and it will keep it closer with ±1F (±1C) degrees (at least on specs).

Unless you find one though dirt cheap like I did (or do bacteria work with Petri dishes - it's original purpose), your better off making a incubator like this one, or buying the typical pet incubator here or this one. Seeing the reviews of bought pet incubators it is of little wonder why you haven't bothered with them. The best price for a new one like my model is on Amazon here ($334.37 & free shipping), or get one used on ebay when they come up.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll probably use it for many purposes, one of them culturing bacteria cultures to power and start up my interest of microbiology. I looked at the reviews for the ones made for pets and that they are not really good according to the reviews. 

I'll probably use it for many purposes, one of them culturing bacteria cultures to power and start up my interest of microbiology. I looked at the reviews for the ones made for pets and that they are not really good according to the reviews. 
Your correct on the bad reviews for the pet incubators, and other brands I've seen are the same.

The only bad reviews for the lab model I have, see Amazon here, are from those who rated it low as the Amazon photo apparently shows another model than the one sold on that page (which is the one I have), so it isn't the product itself getting the reviews (typical "feedback" unrelated reviews). Although, if you do need such a incubator, the company offers other sizes/styles/features too so get the one you need.

Well good luck getting starting in microbiology. :)

Also, does the incubator take up loads of space? Or is it compact enough to fit on a metal rack (wire)? 
I gave the size to you a few posts back, the outer dimensions are 13"W X 15"H X 10.75"D. If that fits on your shelf I have no idea of knowing that, as shelves come in different sizes and most are adjustable as well. Although unless you have a tiny shelf it should fit fine, I know it would on mine at least. :)

Latest posts