Box Elder Bugs?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1stmantidman

Reaction score
So I left my garage open for a couple hours this morning and when I got back home there must have 20 something stink-bug-looking bugs, except black, flying, and with what looked to be a red or orange "V" shape on their back. After some googling it appears they are Box Elder Bugs. While nothing I have read has said they are toxic, there was one page I skimmed that mentioned they may be distasteful. Does anyone have experience with these bugs and/or specifically feeding them to your mantis? I understand the common sense rule of thumb being that if an insect has bright colors or pretty patterns it's likely toxic. I assume if they are distasteful that is the same grounds as toxic as the mantis would likely vomit anyway thus making them not a viable feeder. Sucks cause there is about a months supply worth of them :( . Feedback appreciated. 

I have never done this myself, but I read in a thread on arachnoboards that box elder bugs are only toxic because of their diet of box elder maple seeds. Apparently you can collect a bunch of them and feed them plain deshelled sunflower seeds. Many of them will initially die on this diet, but the ones who don't should be fine with the sunflower seeds from then on. After a couple generations you can be certain that they are safe to use as feeders. Like I said, I have no experience with this, but it is what I have read. I'm pretty sure I've even seen captive bred box elder bugs for sale, although I can't remember where. It was somewhere online. I'll try to get links when I have more time. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I have never done this myself, but I read in a thread on arachnoboards that box elder bugs are only toxic because of their diet of box elder maple seeds. Apparently you can collect a bunch of them and feed them plain deshelled sunflower seeds. Many of them will initially die on this diet, but the ones who don't should be fine with the sunflower seeds from then on. After a couple generations you can be certain that they are safe to use as feeders. Like I said, I have no experience with this, but it is what I have read. I'm pretty sure I've even seen captive bred box elder bugs for sale, although I can't remember where. It was somewhere online. I'll try to get links when I have more time. 
Yes it is possible, I've done it myself with a very similar species. ;)

Your correct on all counts, and the usual supplier of such specimens is the Carolina Biological Supply Co. While it is possible, it was not what the original poster was asking about (which was using the bugs as found in his garage) so I did not bother explaining culturing them; however, thanks for writing and welcome to the forum. :)

Yes it is possible, I've done it myself with a very similar species. ;)

Your correct on all counts, and the usual supplier of such specimens is the Carolina Biological Supply Co. While it is possible, it was not what the original poster was asking about (which was using the bugs as found in his garage) so I did not bother explaining culturing them; however, thanks for writing and welcome to the forum. :)
Yeah I guess that wasn't really the question, haha. Thank you for the welcome. I'm a brand new mantis keeper and I'm very excited about it. 

Yeah I guess that wasn't really the question, haha. Thank you for the welcome. I'm a brand new mantis keeper and I'm very excited about it. 
Your welcome and glad to hear your enjoying the hobby.
thumbs-up2.gif
Feel free to make a post to introduce yourself to everyone here at the introduction section. If you do post a few photos of your mantid(s) in your introduction post that would be great, as we all love photos and mantids. :D

Latest posts