Boxer Mantis Mating Dance

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boxer mantis, they sure :rockon: .

:taz: I want one!!!

I imagine the overture with Andalusian flamenco.

Bravo, bis, bis, bis.

Thank you for sharing, and keep it coming.

Already waving their little arms at each other! They hang on the ooth for a day before dispersing.

Soundtrack by Precarious

I didn't realize it either until I watch the first mating. When I saw the male do his thing my jaw dropped. Pricing will depend on how many nymphs I get. She's eating a giant super worm right now so hopefully her nymphs are strong and plentiful.
With the male moving his abdomen I wonder if some of that might just be excitement more than an attempt at communication. I've seen boys of varies species do that on occasion right before they make the move. I had one Creoborter pictipennis go into a very elaborate claw display while his bum was going crazy for about a minute before he made the move. The girl in question completely ignored his display, but she also didn't try to eat him so maybe it paid off. Lol

Your video however is the first time I've seen a girl take so much control about initiating things. There is always something new and fascinating to learn and see when it comes to mantises, and your videos are always such a joy to watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the male moving his abdomen I wonder if some of that might just be excitement more than an attempt at communication. I've seen boys of varies species do that on occasion right before they make the move. I had one Creoborter pictipennis go into a very elaborate claw display while his bum was going crazy for about a minute before he made the move. The girl in question completely ignored his display, but she also didn't try to eat him so maybe it paid off. Lol

Your video however is the first time I've seen a girl take so much control about initiating things. There is always something new and fascinating to learn and see when it comes to mantises, and your videos are always such a joy to watch.
Thank you! It's definitely part of a ritual. I initially had 2 males and I watched both of them do it on multiple occasions. They do it for quite a while. The video of course is edited to keep things interesting. It's such an extreme contortion. They do it on one side then the other. I really didn't plan out this video so if I get a chance with the next generation I'll try to better document it.

Henry,

Like everyone, I really enjoyed both videos. Terrific work. Great for entertainment and a scientific experience. I'm surprised the ooth hatched in just a month. But, I'm not familiar with the sp. Did the little guy on your finger look up to a window and yell............ADRIAN !!

Thank you! It's definitely part of a ritual. I initially had 2 males and I watched both of them do it on multiple occasions. They do it for quite a while. The video of course is edited to keep things interesting. It's such an extreme contortion. They do it on one side then the other. I really didn't plan out this video so if I get a chance with the next generation I'll try to better document it.
Thinking on it a few minutes I can see how it would be potentially advantages for the species. Boxer mantises use their claws a lot to both communicate and try to encourage the rest of the world not to eat them. By using their bums, the males would be sending out a message that would be unique and stand out when trying to mate.

I look forward to any other videos you are able to capture. I feel like interactions and social behavior among mantises is one of the places we still have a lot to learn about them. Everyone is always so quick to write them off as being completely solitary and cannibalistic in nature, but I don't think it is nearly that simple.