boy or girl chinese mantis?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

creapedout

Reaction score
Hi,

It seems like it has been 2 months since a molt...I believe he...or she has one more to go.....

Those aren't miniature wings are they?

Can you tell if it is a boy or girl or must one wait until it is an adult?

Thanks!

m3.jpg

m4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, I edited and submitted bigger pics...rats I was hoping I had a male! I have one other female...bummer.

So is this an adult yet...or no? It just seems like it won't ever molt.....

It is subadult. The last molt takes a long time. Since its wings are swollen, it looks like it should happen soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP, you can generally tell a female by how the abdomen curves down at the end. Not sure if I explained that well but it makes sense to me :D

female

i caught a male the other day but it's too late for me to be able to ship it because school starts tomorrow

i might be able to if u really want him but idk if i can

if she is wild caught u can easily find males in her area

The only mantis' I've seen in my yard...not many bushes, just 50' oak trees have been the little guys I let go.

I appreciate the offer to ship, but I guess I'll just buy online again.

So if I understand....if I leave the 2 gals each in a cage some afternoons...will I possibly find a male on the outside of the mesh wanting to get in?

It might be time just to set them free....

I wonder if mantis ever live in the tree canopy? The small ones I let go I let go on every oak tree I had and with a little prodding they climbed up.....how far up I'm not sure.....and I wonder if any have survived.

Thanks.

Latest posts