Brand new mantis mommy from Indiana, hello!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlhort

Reaction score
Hey everyone! My name is Jamie. I'm 22 years old and a senior at Purdue studying Horticulture Science with a concentration in Horticulture Production and Marketing. Eventually I'd like to own my own company consulting homeowners on how to turn their property into a homestead and become self-sufficient, at least that's the dream for now. I live in a basement apartment that is constantly buzzing with insects, so I've had plans to get a pet mantis and help offset the nuisance. A couple days ago my little Aluna found me. She is my first mantis. I believe she is a Stagmomantis carolina, she is adult and I'm almost positive she is gravid. I currently have her set up in a propagation tray with a humidity dome on top, but just picked up supplies to build her a larger screened in enclosure as the humidity in my basement more than suffices her needs and the dome pushes the limit. Anyways, I'd love to talk to fellow carolina owners and pick your brains for some advice. She hasn't eaten since I got her (two going on three days), though she'll bat at it. I assume this is because she's due to deliver any day now, or maybe she's still adjusting? She's very active, to the point of freaking me out a little by how quickly she'll climb up my arm--kind of feel like she wants to kill me sometimes. I can see that she and I share a common need to feel free, so I just want to do my best to give her an ideal home with me. When I'm here I take the lid off of her home and let her roam as she pleases, but most of the time she's content in the environment I've made for her, which makes me very happy. :) I think that's all for now, I'd love to chat and get some tips from fellow owners, after all that's what this is about right? God speed and much love to you all, thanks for reading!

Jamie

Welcome from Maine! Aluna sounds like she's ready to pop. She would probably like some sticks to lay her egg case on. The case is called an ootheca.

If you have any pictures we'd like to see them.

Yes it is normal. It could either be stressed because it is scared of you and exhaling and inhaling fast, or it could be because it is getting ready to lay an oothecae. I myself have been keeping a male and female carolina since they were babies and they are now adults at 1 and 3/4 inch. Also, can you add me to your friends list?

Last edited by a moderator:
@UnicornMantis, she has not eaten yet. She's currently at work with me (I work at a gardening store) hanging out on a plant and hasn't moved for a few hours. I'm going to try to feed her again once we get home.

What have you tried feeding her? Was the prey the right size?

@UnicornMantis, she has not eaten yet. She's currently at work with me (I work at a gardening store) hanging out on a plant and hasn't moved for a few hours. I'm going to try to feed her again once we get home.
*Happy1892, Unicorn Mantis is just my ranking from how many posts I made on the forum.

1,832 posts.... shows that I do not have a real life. jk

hahaha @happy1892 my bad, still learning my way around this forum. I've tried feeding her small crickets, sowbugs, and a moth. When I worked at a different gardening place a few years ago we would find mantids and keep them on the window in our cashier shed-sowbugs were always a hit with them! and perfect for me, being easy to find and place. All of them were small enough for her to eat

Latest posts