Brand new to mantis keeping and the forum

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skeletondad

Reaction score
Hello from Florida! I have always though of the mantis as the mostly lovely and fascinating of insects, and recently after lots of research I have decided that I would love to take up mantis care! I have yet to have my first mantis but I'm excited to learn more about the mantis and mantis care and get to finally own my own praying mantis. 

Welcome, fellow new mantis keeper!  Have you decided what species you'd like to start with?

I'm not sure yet! Since I am brand new to mantis keeping, what kind of mantis would you suggest to beginners?

Welcome! There's quite a few tolerant species that are good for beginners and don't require extreme temperatures or humidity. But personally, I think catching a wild mantis or two is an even better start  ;)  They're pretty easy to spot at night and can be released back into the wild afterwards, a nice way to test the waters before investing in an exotic mantis. 

Welcome. Many great species in  your state. 

If you go the wild-caught route, good luck!  If not, ghost mantids are exotic but are considered fairly easy to keep and seem to often be the first exotic species for new keepers (myself included).

Latest posts