Breeding crickets with out odor?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
Does anyone have tips on reducing odor from breeding crickets? Are there any tips on keeping crickets clean enough to be fed even to mantids? Please do not suggest roaches they wont be accepted by my family.

i find not using any subtrate helps that 100% and often cleaning, also, keeping it high, like on a shelf helps to lessen it. I do my own breeding and it seems to be working, i have no wierd smell from mine.

Never really noticed much smell. Raise mine in a rubbermaid tub with mesh top. Use dry oatmeal as a substrate.

I use sand, which someone on here suggested and have used ever since, they still smell, cause I dont clean it as much as I should, but I took a kids ping pong paddle broke out the webbing with my needle nose plyers and glued in screen, and use one of their sand shovels to sift the sand and get rid of the poo and dead, it helps a lot, I know the poor kids got nothing to play with, with granny taking all their stuff for her bugs :rolleyes:

I am considering breeding crickets for my future leopard gecko. Its just that other people say thay crickets stink.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am considering breeding crickets for my future leopard gecko. Its just that other people say thay crickets stink.
If they are not too moist and the enclosure is well ventilated, you shouldn't have a problem. I dont. Why not buy a few from the petsore, keep them in a cricket keeper or whatever, feed 'em bok choy, sliced apples/potatoes and dog/cat food (no need to pulverize it), and see how it goes!

Latest posts