breeding Ghost

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nebrakacinese

Reaction score
Yesterday m.y male ghost was 14 days an adult.I have three sisters have been adults,about 3 to 4 weeks.yesteday. evening I placed the male with one of the females.Not much happened at first,I stayed up late,nothing happened.This morning I checked them and the male was mounted on the female they were'nt coupled,the females cloaca was up turned,so i don't know if I had successful mating.Can anyone with more experience could tell me what might have taken place.I thoght about keeping this female with him for a couple of days and then putting in a different female.Can any one give me some advive as to how to handle this.I would greatly appreciate any advice thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sometimes a female's genitalia will stay open for a while after mating, with the spermatophore visible(it looks like a white glob, sometimes there is a little thread on it). I am not sure about your species, but if you can see a white thing stuffed in there(that is not one of her bits), she is "probably" fertile.

But...

If you didn't see the connection, you can't be absolutely sure that it happened. ;)

A little while ago I went to check them and they were atached.This morning when I checked them this morning her opening looked as you descibed.I suppose the next thing I do is remove the female as I have two more females.I would further guess I should wait a few days before introducing the next female?That is after they're done.

A little while ago I went to check them and they were atached.This morning when I checked them this morning her opening looked as you descibed.I suppose the next thing I do is remove the female as I have two more females.I would further guess I should wait a few days before introducing the next female?That is after they're done.
I give my males a few days to eat, drink, and reload. ;)

It is a good idea to keep them in separate rooms at this reloading time. What also works well is to raise the humidity and the temps on each of them to the upper limit. This really causes them to get in the "mood" in a physiological sense, which drives their behavior.

Hi, I had something that happened,that goes against every thing you;ll find on the internet.A couple of days ago when I did the 1st.breeind the female had laid an ooth,it is still light colored.when I put the next pair in I noticed it.I thought it took a couple of weeks after breeding.Would the ooth be fertile?Hope someone could enlighten me,thanks

Hi, I had something that happened,that goes against every thing you;ll find on the internet.A couple of days ago when I did the 1st.breeind the female had laid an ooth,it is still light colored.when I put the next pair in I noticed it.I thought it took a couple of weeks after breeding.Would the ooth be fertile?Hope someone could enlighten me,thanks
A female will lay an ooth whether she is mated or not, it just won't be fertile if she is not mated first. If she laid the ooth a few days after being mated, or earlier than that, I have no idea if it will be fertile.

I am sure that someone more experienced than I, will know how much time she would need to fertilize her eggs with sperm, before that ooth is laid...

She's laid a couple since then,they'er shorter and side by side don't know if that's normal.Female number 2 been coupled most of the day.I guess I better give the little guy some rest.

With the ooths i have received from younger females, they are usually infertile till they are 1) after the first mating from a two week seasoned male, she also having been seasoned, 2) the ooth in comparison with other fertile ones of the same species is the same color, not one either with a greenish cast and possibly misshaped ( like a test blob of ooth material).

Latest posts