Breeding hiccups

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uhzero

Reaction score
hey everyone. so yesterday i tried breeding my budwings yesterday and it ended in disaster. i sure made both were well fed so that they wouldn't eat each other, or so i thought. i put the two together, making sure that the male was behind the female and following the guidelines of the breeding tutorial posted on this site. the male just watched the female for about 5-10 minutes then pounced on the female and bit her abdomen. there was mantid blood but i patched her back up with a home remedy and she seems to be fine today. but my question is, why did the male attack the female? i understand that other male insects will do that if they are not full grown but this one is an adult and has been for 5 weeks now, shouldn't he be ready to mate? what gives?

Last edited by a moderator:
Did u see it bite her? or did its claws cut her when he jumped on her? I had one male one time that was hungry, and when I put him on the girl, he reached over and took her cricket, haha, but never seen one bite.
huh.gif

Did u see it bite her? or did its claws cut her when he jumped on her? I had one male one time that was hungry, and when I put him on the girl, he reached over and took her cricket, haha, but never seen one bite.
huh.gif
he landed on her back with his abdomen pointed towards the ceiling and he took a bit, i saw the mark. so confused.

Never heard of that. Most likely it was the tip of his front leg that got her. Sometimes when they jump on it looks pretty violent. And feeding before breeding won't prevent the female from eating him so you can forget about that.

Some years ago, a woman mammalogist reported seeing an alpha female leading a wolf pack. Everyone knew that this could not be, since an alpha male always leads the pack, but now a number of female pack leaders have been discovered. If Uhzero, who was there, saw a male bite a female's abdomen, that is probably what happened.