Breeding houseflies

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eldur

Reaction score
I have been looking at the direction of breeding houseflies that I got from this forum ( http://www.spiderpharm.com/docs/housefly_kit.pdf ) to be perpaired to have some food for my Mantis in the winter (only things we have here now are mealworms and superworms, thinking of a more versatile diet).

Some things I don't understand (mainly because english is my second language)

Add egg-laying media after matinghas started (~3-4 days post-eclosion)

1. Add 2/3 cups boiling water to 1/3 cup dog

food and allow to soak until cool to

lukewarm (<105 oF), stirring occasionally.

2. Mix a pinch yeast into 1 teaspoon sugar .

3. Stir the yeast/sugar mix into the dog food in a

deli tub

4. Fill with large, pre-sifted wood chips

(Pre-sifted over 1/4” (4-mesh) sieve.)

Note: Chips provide a substrate for egg-laying

and maggots and can improve aeration of media.
1. What is "Yeast"

I can not find it by google and wikipedia says it is a fungus...is that right?

2. Is it possible to start breeding the flies by just catching adults?

It is a bit difficult to get insects to iceland so it would be easier to use the flies we have.

Flies may be harvested with vials or a vacuumpowered(not mouth) suction device.
3. So do you just take a vial (like a little glass) and scoop in some flies?

4. Do you put them in the freezer like fruitflies?

OdorThe cultures should be odorless or have a slight

yeasty smell. Acetic acid (vinegar) or other foul

odors are usually a sign of too much anaerobic

microbial growth (without air) and that the media

needs better ventilation.

In most cases, odor problems may eliminated by

stirring the wood chips into the media to improve

aeration . It may also be necessary to reduce the

amount mediafor egg-laying or development, to

increase the concentration of maggots and giving

them a chance to eat through the media faster,

with less leftover. Sterile
5. What does the word Media mean?

Sounds like you are suppose to stir in the woodchips that are in the water...to improve aeration?? :blink:

And 2 extra questions off this topic if it´s ok

1. What are Mels?

See people mention it here and when I google it I just get Mel Gibson :lol:

2. Is it possible to send Roaches through mail abroad? Do any roaches come from eggs? And are roaches good food for mantises?

With many thanks in advance

I have been looking at the direction of breeding houseflies that I got from this forum ( http://www.spiderpharm.com/docs/housefly_kit.pdf ) to be perpaired to have some food for my Mantis in the winter (only things we have here now are mealworms and superworms, thinking of a more versatile diet).Some things I don't understand (mainly because english is my second language)

Wow! O.K.here goes:

1. What is "Yeast"

I can not find it by google and wikipedia says it is a fungus...is that right?

Yes, but a very special one. It's used to make bread. As it ferments it gives off carbon dioxide that causes the bread to rise. You shoud find it in any food or supermarket. You're looking for dry yeast, tiny grains that comes in little foil package. Use VERY LITTLE , as instructed, and just sprinkle it on top of the medium (ie, the dog food/water mix).

2. Is it possible to start breeding the flies by just catching adults?

It is a bit difficult to get insects to iceland so it would be easier to use the flies we have.

Yes.

3. So do you just take a vial (like a little glass) and scoop in some flies?

That's not what he means, he is referring to a vacuum device (like a tiny vacuum cleaner :p ) but I have never been able to find anything cheap and suitable, so yes, just scoop 'em up with a vial, jar or small net.

4. Do you put them in the freezer like fruitflies?

Just long enough for them to stop moving. Too long will kill them.

5. What does the word Media mean?

Sounds like you are suppose to stir in the woodchips that are in the water...to improve aeration?? :blink:

Media is the mixture that fly maggots (or any other critter that you are raising) grow in/on. You put SMALL wood chips into the mix and stir them in: they absorbs some of the moisture, provide food and trap air. If you can't find wood chips, use cut up cardboard (though it gets soggy and is not so good).

And 2 extra questions off this topic if it´s ok

1. What are Mels?

Drosophila melanogaster, small fruitflies popular in genetics experiments, and easy to obtain in the U.S. They are fed to nymphs when they first hatch. A slightly larger species, D. hydei, is fed to larger nymphs. If they are not available where you are, think about using small phorid flies (cf).

2. Is it possible to send Roaches through mail abroad? Do any roaches come from eggs? And are roaches good food for mantises?

Check with people in our "for sale, other" section on this forum. People like Zephyr and Ken the Bug Guy among others, may be able to help you. Be aware, though, that your country may have restrictions on importing them. Some species lay eggs, some are "livebearers." They are soft bodied and make good food but have a tendency to hide away from the mantids.

With many thanks in advance
One extra thing. If you don't let air get into this mixture, as Chuck points out, you will end up with a dreadful stench from the growth of anaerobic bacteria and a very noticable amount of ammonia that will kill the maggots.

Hope this helps. I am NOT the forum's fly breeding expert, I just have more free time on a Sunday afternoon than most members. :D

If anyone has comments, improvements, corrections on what I have said above, please help me out.!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for your answers (not sure if that answer is from one or two persons :huh: PhilinYuma / Chuck)

Yes of course Yeast, I know what that is now thanks!

One extra thing. If you don't let air get into this mixture, as Chuck points out, you will end up with a dreadful stench from the growth of anaerobic bacteria and a very noticable amount of ammonia that will kill the maggots.Hope this helps. I am NOT the forum's fly breeding expert, I just have more free time on a Sunday afternoon than most members. :D

If anyone has comments, improvements, corrections on what I have said above, please help me out.!
Do you mean the the mix where the Yeast is?

Or the mixture of flies, larvas and the stuff they live in?

How can I not let air get in to the mixture?

Do you mean keep an airproof bag around it?

Sorry for those stupid questions and thanks for your patience :)

Thank you for your answers (not sure if that answer is from one or two persons :huh: PhilinYuma / Chuck)Yes of course Yeast, I know what that is now thanks!

Do you mean the the mix where the Yeast is?

Or the mixture of flies, larvas and the stuff they live in?

How can I not let air get in to the mixture?

Do you mean keep an airproof bag around it?

Sorry for those stupid questions and thanks for your patience :)
These are not stupid questions considering your language handicap. ;)

You need to have air or some ventilation to the container with the media mixture. He means it is not good to have it air-tight. ;)

These are not stupid questions considering your language handicap. ;) You need to have air or some ventilation to the container with the media mixture. He means it is not good to have it air-tight. ;)
Yeah, as usual, Katt got it right. The guy whom I call "Chuck" runs SpiderPharm and really is an expert, but he is not a forum member.

I think the Icelandic word for yeast is "Ger". Whenever I run into translation problems like that, I usually look the word up on Wikipedia, then see if there's a link in the lower left corner to the language I want to translate it to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Catnapper, now I think I understand!

My english is pretty good for general things, but when we talk about insects and stuff that you don´t learn in school or read in the news online then I'min trouble :lol:

I think the Icelandic word for yeast is "Ger". Whenever I run into translation problems like that, I usually look the word up on Wikipedia, then see if there's a link in the lower left corner to the language I want to translate it to.
Haha yes that´s right, ger ;)

Never knew it was possible to translate the word on wikipedia, that´s brilliant

Latest posts