Breeding Theopompa Servillei

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kllinke

Reaction score
I have a beautiful pair of this species my female is only about a week mature male is a few weeks older. I am just trying to make sure I don't mess this up I only have the one pair so any input would be apreciated.

Thanks

It's best to keep female mantises warm and well-fed for at least a couple weeks before you introduce the male so that their reproductive systems have started working and they're receptive and not hungry.

It would be best if you don't introduce him until you've seen her start calling, but sometimes that's something we rarely witness.

I would fatten up the female, keep the male heated as well. In about a month I would put them together and see what happens.

Just an update!

I was successful in breeding, I was so excited to see my first hatch about 2 weeks ago. It hatch 40+ nymphs for the first ooth I was happy with the hatch rate. 

My next ooth is due to hatch any day. The first ooth hatched 4 weeks to the day after being laid.

Such a beautiful species for sure

IMG_20151118_175129.jpg

Here is one of the nymphs from the first ooth that hatched now L3

IMG_20160223_092750.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations  on the hatch. US this species hard to work with?
This species can be difficult, due to they stress extremely easy. They also require a good amount of humidity.

They also mature very slow, it took almost 11 months to get them to adult.