Breeding Wandering Violins - Temperature causing oothbound?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Teamonger

Reaction score
I am attempting to breed violins for the first time. It has been a long process to even get this far (about 6 months to adult) so regardless of if I´m successful at mating them I am happy with having gotten 4 to adult with 2 more getting ready for their final molt. 

My one and only male has given me nothing but trouble from the beginning. He was slow to molt, required a leg amputation at L3, has been the most uncoordinated mantis I have ever owned, and just generally did his best to me stress out. 

Now that he has reached adult I have been trying to mate him with my two adult females who are a month or two his seniors.

My oldest female who has been adult for roughly 2 months now has not laid any ooths. The male readily mounts her but it seems as if she is not allowing him to connect regardless of how hard he tries. I am worried that I have had the temperature too high (30°C/86°F to 32°C/89°F) for her and she is oothbound. The caresheet on them states this can happen. I am just wondering if I should have been keeping the females a few degrees lower for their whole lives to keep this from happening next time I try this species.

Does anyone have any experience with temperatures oothbinding their violin females?

Unfortunately I don't yet have any experience with these beauties.  But if she's an adult she should be laying ooth, and 2 months seems like a long time.  If she is plugged up that could also explain the male's difficulty in connecting with her properly.  But again my knowledge with this species is very limited.  If you can get any close up pics of her backside that might help figure it out.  Also if she will take water from an eye dropper, giving it to her daily can help with being eggbound I've heard.

Best of luck!

Latest posts