Breeding Wild Stagmomantis Californica

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wes

Reaction score
I've managed to catch a wild male & female pair of stagmomantis californica, and I was wondering if there were any special techniques I could use to breed the two. There are a couple different techniques i've seen for breeding captive pairs (feeding the female ahead of time, and positioning her a little ahead of the male and coercing her to move to get his attention), but I was wondering if those techniques would still apply to wild mantids. These guys seem to be a lot less docile than my other mantids, and i'd like to prevent the male from getting eaten if possible.

I've managed to catch a wild male & female pair of stagmomantis californica, and I was wondering if there were any special techniques I could use to breed the two. There are a couple different techniques i've seen for breeding captive pairs (feeding the female ahead of time, and positioning her a little ahead of the male and coercing her to move to get his attention), but I was wondering if those techniques would still apply to wild mantids. These guys seem to be a lot less docile than my other mantids, and i'd like to prevent the male from getting eaten if possible.
Follow rick's method

After a while, they should become more docile in a captive environment. The method you've described should work fine. Also, making sure the female is fat before mating would help.

I have a WC carolina female laying a ooth as we speak. I bred her to a WC male. I put them both in the same butterlfy cage and gave her a cricket. I also fed her one a day for a few days prior so she wasnt thinking about eating.

My male is fine.

2012-09-17_17-11-03_146.jpg

2012-09-17_17-11-36_271.jpg

OK. Feed her as much as she will eat then see if she is calling, and when she is, put her outside of her cage (keep feeding her as much as she can eat)(she should have a good grip, if she is hanging it is good). Then take the male out and put the male on your hand or stick or whatever and then put his head close to her back end (where they connect) and he will probably start moving his antennae a lot and he will know the female is there and I guess he will jump on her quickly. Do not let the female look or stare at the male and if she does get a piece of paper or stick or something else that might be better to tap and push her head (do not wave things around too much because I had a male that seemed to get scared by it). And when the male is on top of the female do not move much at all and do not have anything scary to them. I would watch them but maybe you are too busy. If she can eat feed her while she is mating. This is probably not everything.

Last edited by a moderator:
Please send that male to me post-mating. I have a FAT female Californica that's ready to burst! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I got a lot of 'em where i live, i'm down to trade, or just give em to you. How can I be sure if the female's "calling" and if she's even an adult? Her wings seem to be full size, but she still seems kind of small.

I got a lot of 'em where i live, i'm down to trade, or just give em to you. How can I be sure if the female's "calling" and if she's even an adult? Her wings seem to be full size, but she still seems kind of small.
Here's the link where I posted my adult female: http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=26704

They're a mid-sized species. I'll pm you about the trade.

Latest posts