Bringing Mantis on a Plane

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally I've never brought a mantis on a plane before. But I remember when I moved across the country in 2001, pre-9/11, I carried buckets of pet fish (I know, trying to picture it is pretty weird) on the plane, and nobody cared at all. Obviously, things have changed and now I get scrutinized for bringing toothpaste on board.

I'm not sure if I would risk bringing a mantis on a plane. Best play it safe!

Do you think I could bring my mantis on the plane if I had a paper stating that I could based on guide lines?

Do you think I could bring my mantis on the plane if I had a paper stating that I could based on guide lines?
I believe this will be the third time I have answered this question. No. I give you literally a 0% increased chance of success. You could bring a notarized letter signed by the CEO of the airline along with a photo of him handing it to you while shaking your hand, and it would not increase your chances one bit. Not only could the TSA shut you down, but the people boarding you could not believe your documentation, not care, or feel it violates policy.

Even if there was a specific guideline in their manual that said "All mantids are fine" they could either believe the guideline is outdated, not think a dead leaf mantis is a mantid, or not be aware of the guideline (and why trust your paperwork?). Again it won't matter who's right, because you'll be the one who has to leave your mantis behind and/or miss your flight.

Your only two options are to find another way to get him to Oregon or take your (imo very poor) chances that *can not* be improved no matter what you do.

I do not think I can emphasize this enough, and I'm sorry it's obviously not what you want to hear, but you shouldn't just keep asking until you get a different answer.

yeah, just mail it overnight express or leave it home if your on a trip of a week or less...I had a ghost mantis last two weeks without food (unintentional misplaced sub adult, when I found him on the top shelf and realized how long he went with out food he got spoiled rotten and successfully mated to some green colored females with success)

"Mantids On a Plane"
Sounds Like a New Samuel L. Jackson Movie
IDK how the airports are where you live
But flying out of Long Beach or LAX
It's like d@m near a full body cavity stripe search

Might be 100% wrong
But just don't see TSA letting you through or letting you carry a live bug on to a plane with you
Just my 2 cent
???

Would be great to hear how final events transpired, though! So, did you mail it to a friend, leave it at home, or *gasp* attempt the airline?

Latest posts