Bruce the Chinese mantis...nearing the end of her life

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callisto9

Reaction score
We brought in Bruce from the outside around two months ago. She's a female Chinese mantis and our 2nd we've kept as a pet. We didn't know she was female until she laid her first ooth. A couple of weeks ago, I noticed her slowing down. And then a week or so ago, I had her out on the pencil plant for some sun and exercise and noticed she was kinda "stuck" amidst the branches. I tried to move some of the branches out of the way and then noticed she was laying another ooth (her 3rd)! So, I just let her be and put her back in her cage a few hours later. Since then she's been exhausted. She isn't able to climb up to the top of the cage and there were several days where I thought for sure it would be her last day. 

I started feeding her honey water with a pipette, as I wasn't sure she was getting enough from me misting the sides of the cage. 

She doesn't move much and each day, I keep thinking it's her last. Then, last night, she kinda raised up on her legs and elevated her wings some. She was kinda pulsating her abdomen towards where the poo/ooth would come out. I didn't know if she was constipated or what. Some of this reddish-brown stuff oozed out. She did it again today and my SO snapped a pic and sent it to me. It's really weird. Any ideas what's going on?

I fed her a cricket tonight as I don't think she's strong enough to chase them down. I then gave her some honey water again, which she seemed eager to drink. 

I know the end is near. 

PART_1513959733166.jpeg

The last Tenodera female I had started '' circling the drain '' only 2 days after laying her first ooth . I would think that after the third ooth yours  would be pretty well spent . My condolences ..... S

I didn't think she'd get this far, honestly. I'll be sad to see her go. 

Am sorry Bruce is not doing well. Just lost the female this week that we brought in from outside due to cold. They deserve to live much longer. 

It's harder than you think to lose one, isn't it? 

Bruce looks to be on her last day today, but who knows. She wouldn't eat her cricket that I got for her last night. 

Am sorry to hear Bruce is not doing well. Our remaining little dwarf Chinese, Teensie,  is getting tired despite honey and bug guts too. He already lost the last joints from his hind legs somehow so doesnt move around much. He is only 11/2 inches long. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Am sorry to hear Bruce is not doing well. Our remaining little dwarf Chinese, Teensie,  is getting tired despite honey and bug guts too. He already lost the last joints from his hind legs somehow so doesnt move around much. He is only 11/2 inches long. 
She's not really accepting the honey water I've been giving to her today. She's not really moving, but technically still alive. I took her out of her cage and gave it a final cleaning and placed her back in. I'm guessing she'll go tonight or tomorrow. 

Sorry to hear about Teensie - this is just how it ends, right? :(  

Got up and found Teensie barely alive if at all. Am sorry to all who have lost their loves. It really seems sad that they dont get a longer life. RIP Teensie and all those lost loved mantises everywhere. 

Got up and found Teensie barely alive if at all. Am sorry to all who have lost their loves. It really seems sad that they dont get a longer life. RIP Teensie and all those lost loved mantises everywhere. 
I pronounced Bruce dead this morning, but my guest said she saw her move. Today's going to be the day, for sure. 

RIP Teensie. 

Sorry to hear of your little friends slow demise . I don't want to sound too mercenary just by this time I would have helped them along by sending them to the freezer . Your choice , a difficult one ............. S

Sorry to hear of your little friends slow demise . I don't want to sound too mercenary just by this time I would have helped them along by sending them to the freezer . Your choice , a difficult one ............. S
Agreed.. difficult choice but sometimes the best.

Ah, I didn’t know people did that. Is it the more humane thing to do? It’s like 5 degrees outside, so could I just place her outside?

Ah, I didn’t know people did that. Is it the more humane thing to do? It’s like 5 degrees outside, so could I just place her outside?
Hy callis , yes that is standard practice . The same as putting a dog to sleep. We don't want to see our friends suffer.  5 fahrenheit is great it would have to be - 2 or colder celsius , good luck........ S

She's gone. Put her outside under the snow near where I put Barry down after she passed. Gah... that was not a fun thing to do. :(

Dealing with living creatures is a challenge knowing when the tim,e has come for them to pass on is some what like playing GOD .  Do not feel that way it is part of life , the older you get the less compunction in helping one on is acquired . ....  Good choice ..........  S

I keep thinking about her... it makes me sad, even though I know it was the thing to do.

I’m sorry for your loss. You did what you had to, and now she lays peacefully. Don’t feel guilty, it’s simply that time of the year. Jolly, holly, and Happy, but grim and gray for mantis keepers. Its normal to feel sad, and that just means you care.

Latest posts