Brunneria borealis mating

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
remember there are other species in this genus
Yes, that is right. And I thought this had to be another species of Brunneria when I first ran across this video yesterday. But I saw that it is listed as Brunneria borealis on the video's title:

Would there be possibly any other Brunneria species in the US that this could be misidentified with?

Yes, that is right. And I thought this had to be another species of Brunneria when I first ran across this video yesterday. But I saw that it is listed as Brunneria borealis on the video's title:

Would there be possibly any other Brunneria species in the US that this could be misidentified with?

so let me get this straight
JUST BECAUSE the title of the video says Brunneria borealis, there's no way that the videographer could be incorrect about the ID of the mantis?

most of the members of this genus occur in central/south America but maybe one strayed up into TX or NM?

so let me get this straight
JUST BECAUSE the title of the video says Brunneria borealis, there's no way that the videographer could be incorrect about the ID of the mantis?

most of the members of this genus occur in central/south America but maybe one strayed up into TX or NM?
Oh, yes... I thought you were wondering whether I identified the Brunneria in the video correctly. But I guess the person who took the video could have misidentified it also.

When I first ran across this video I thought to myself "looks just like my Brunneria borealis, but there is a male so I must be wrong." Then I thought something like "Looks just like a Brunneria borealis though, no difference". Eventually I found other videos of that male on his YouTube channel that said it was a B. borealis!

I will ask that person whether these were near Central America where there are other species of Brunneria. With global warming they could be spreading north.

I've never seen any of the other five species but I imagine they look similar.

Thats impossible though i thought? Females only in this species they reproduce from parthogenisis. Could it be a mutant?

Thats impossible though i thought? Females only in this species they reproduce from parthogenisis. Could it be a mutant?
Some parthenogenetic phasmids throw the rare male but in the phasmids the males have never been found to be functional.

Wait a second???? How do we know this isnt another brunners species? Theres a brunners species in brazil that looks very similiar to brunners stick mantis but it isnt one?

See this is the brazil one
IMG_6362.png

Oh, wow. The one from Brazil looks similar. Do they live in a climate that experiences mild winters, like in the southern part of South America? Maybe those could be invasive in Texas where the winters are milder.

Yes, I was surprised to see males of Brunneria borealis (?) online, too. Maybe it could be a mutation that makes males from females. I know that honeybees just have double (Diploid) the chromosomes to produce females, and males have just one chromosome (Haploid). But it might be a little more complicated in mantises than in bees.

Latest posts