Brunneria Borealis sudden death?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I got my very first Brunner last week, L3. She was doing great, even molted to L4 for me with no issues. Last night I literally watched her die within a half hour. She was totally fine and then I looked at her and she was just sitting on the bottom of the cage. When I went to touch her, she fell over on her side and was barely moving. I heard they're somewhat notorious for "playing dead" so I thought I would give her some space, but this morning she's in total spasms on her side so I know she's not even alive at this point probably.

Has anyone had experience with these ladies? I think my main issue was not getting her fruit flies. I didn't want to get a whole culture just for one nymph so I was catching little bugs around the house and outside. I saw her eat a little moth and a tiny jumping spider. I just ordered another one to try again because I'm in love with this species, but I know now that I will have to get the fruit flies for her. I just thought it was odd that she died so suddenly like that? After doing a little research, it does sound like these girls are just plain hard to keep alive for very long as nymphs even with the experienced and they're very picky about the size of their pray?

I'm hoping someone has some advice for me for the new one I'll get so I can get her to adulthood and produce lots of other future little ladies! :)

image.jpg

Since you mentioned spasms...I wonder if she ate something that was contaminated by pesticides. For example, one of the commonly used pesticides, imidacloprid, is a neurotoxin that leads to paralysis and death.

Honestly, it was one of those things that I thought woud be fun to catch the food for her myself now that it's warmer out. But you're right....I guess there will always be a risk with that. I used to do that a lot for my Chinese and never had a problem which is why I didn't think anything of it. Sometimes I wish there were smaller fruit fly cultures out there because I end up feeling bad that so many have to die just to feed one nymph. :( I will definitley be getting one for round 2 though!

You can always make fruitfly cultures to the size you want them to be : ) Though honestly, smaller cultures don't seem to produce very well, and there's always the risk of the culture crashing and then the nymph would have to stave :/

Latest posts