Brunneria borealis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reptilia5

Reaction score
Does anyone keep Brunneria borealis? I used to see these mantises all the time when I was a kid growing up in the sticks of central Arkansas back in the 80's but I never hear about anyone actually keeping them. They would seem to be a very "convenient" mantis to keep since they are inherently female and reproduce by parthenogenesis. I hear they are pretty rare now. If they are not a widely kept species I would like to know why.Seems to me if they are rare then they should be domestically propagated and the majority of young released back into nature. Thanks to any and all who can educate me on this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
They are probably not very rare because there are a lot of photos of them on Bugguide and Yen-Saw catches them. The farthest north they are, I have read is Wake County, NC (where I am). I have not seen any. Rick said that they are more common in the costal areas (I think he was talking about in North Carolina).

They are probably not very rare because there are a lot of photos of them on Bugguide and Yen-Saw catches them. The farthest north they are, I have read is Wake County, NC (where I am). I have not seen any. Rick said that they are more common in the costal areas (I think he was talking about in North Carolina).
Ive read the farthest North they've been recorded is in Raleigh NC. While I was there for the bug fair I caught two white ones.

I lived in Wake Co. NC for two years. Not seen a single B. borealis :(

Ive read the farthest North they've been recorded is in Raleigh NC. While I was there for the bug fair I caught two white ones.
Wow! How did you catch them when I never find any? I have gone to that area, around the museum a few times.

Wow! How did you catch them when I never find any? I have gone to that area, around the museum a few times.
They are most certainly found in Wake county. I tend to find them in isolated patches around here. NC is the northern limit of their range. They cannot fly so aren't able to move around as much as other species which is one reason why they are not often seen. They also have very excellent camouflage.

I recently got my L3 brunner at mantispets.com. She didn't make it very long, not sure why but I just bought another one to try again. They still have more in stock looks like. They are a little pricey there but the shipping is cheaper than other sites I've seen. They're a very cool species! :)

Latest posts