Budwing and a Rhombodera basalis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uhzero

Reaction score
hey guys, so i bought my first two mantids a while back and asked the forum for some help on identifying the sexes. there was some debate and there wasn't a definitive consensus on what they were. two molts later and i think an answer will be easier to come by. if you guys could help me again, that'd be great.

budwing

dvkpsj.jpg

352j1uu.jpg

34pzv60.jpg

Rhombodera basalis

209infm.jpg

2wdojlw.jpg

14vo75z.jpg

if these aren't enough, i have more, lol. thanks for all your help guys.

not adults but still sub adults and the shield looks like a female and I think the budwing might be a female too but never had this species so its just a educated guess!

Good pictures. Your Budwing is an adult and Rhombodera is sub-adult. If you can get a picture of the under side of their abdomens it's a lot easier to tell if they are males or females. From above the Budwing looks to be a female and possibly your Rhombodera as well. When looking at the underside of the abdomen, the females have one largish triangular shaped segment at the tip of their abdomen whereas the males will have a few smaller segments.

Females = 6 segments

Males = 7 or 8

Last edited by a moderator:
Well obviously the budwing is an adult female. You don't need to count segments on adults. It should be obvious to everyone except the newest hobbyist. Need a pic of the bottom of the abdomen of the shield though to be certain. The shield is not adult.

Last edited by a moderator: