Budwing lifespan

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mykey14

Reaction score
Well, I just lost my oldest mantis today, muffin. She was a budwing and had a pretty good run, almost 2 and a half years. I knew she was starting to go last night because her hind legs were hanging. I found her on the ground, legs limp except for her (sharp) raptorials. I folded up a soft paper towel and layed her on it before I left for school. When I got home she was gone, so I put her in the freezer. She was probably my favorite mantis i've had so far. Anyway, enough of me grieving, how long of a life have you guys experienced with this awesome species. I feel like a wuss for still crying about this. :(

2 and a half years!!!! and youre sad dude! well i mean understandably, but i would be happy if most of my manitds reached a year! Youre mantis had an exeptionally long life. Rejoice in that. :) Sorry for your loss.

2 1/2 years ! What were you feeding her? (radioactive isotopes?). Nevertheless, sorry for Muffin's death.

Wow, I have never heard of anyone having a mantis live that long. That is amazing.

Sorry about your loss.

2.5 years? Thats crazy. I have a friend that has budwings from the same ootheca as me and mine have already laid 4 ootheca. All my males have died. His are not even adult yet and he starved his almost to death. His are maybe 3 months behind mine.

Sons sometimes get named after their fathers. Could it be that you were already raising a second generation budwing and didn't know it? :clown:

Last edited by a moderator:
I had a male budwing live over 2 years as well! He was an P. agrionia. Somthing is different about budwings that they live so long. I wanted to have this male stuffed because he lived so long hahaha! Just getting back into mantids again with a variety of mantids and budwings being among the list. Going to see if i can get some more 2+ year old budwings. Imagine what kind of offspring mine and yours would have had!!!

Sorry about Muffin; it sounds like she was a good pet. And I always get upset when I lose an animal, big or small. Seems like she had a great life with you, though, if she was over two years...

Gongy and Budwings do seem to be a long lived species, but 2.5 years?!? Holy cow batman! If true I would save the body and call the Guinness book of world records. :D

Latest posts