Budwing vs. Dragonfly

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mantiscraze

Reaction score
001.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ej_NRat_YD4

002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
that bud wing must feel really manly after that! i mean err womanly!

Female BWs seem to be scary animals.Mine is very aggressive and eats non stop.Since I mated her she's taken on a real nasty disposition.

Sometimes, it still surprises me how quick mantids stick their faces into struggling prey and just nom nom away like it is nothing to be kicked and flapped in the face. :mellow:

Was the dragonfly releasing eggs while being eaten?

those do appear to be eggs released from the dragonfly's abdomen...

hard to film using manual focus, will get better with more practice.

Cool. I was volunteering at the insect building at the zoo here in Omaha last Wednesday. I was feeding out the mantids and there was a real nasty Carolina female that was almost as aggressive as a budwing. Tony (Keeper who takes care of the exotic bugs) for some reason had the Carolina in the same cage with a huge green female Chinese. I looked in there a little while later, and the Carolina was gone and the Chinese was REALLY fat. Wonder what happened there. :p He also had a really aggressive green female Carolina in another cage. I was feeding her a moth w/ some tweezers, and she grabbed the moth in one arm and the tweezers in the other. I'll bet you can guess which one she chewed on first. :lol: