Bug bite?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melophile

Reaction score
So I've had my fair share of mosquito bites and bee stings and whatnot, but I woke up this morning to a weird pain on my thigh. The best way I can explain the pain is that it feels like when you touch your bruise, but that's how it feels all day long even when I'm not even touching it.

I'm not even sure if it's a bite from some sort of bug. I went to sleep the night before, no problems whatsoever, then I wake up with this big, red spot on my thigh. It's been bothering me all day; it hasn't gotten worse and it hasn't gotten better. It's only been a day, so maybe I'm just being a little baby about it, but does this look serious to anyone?

069534403c.JPG

There's a number of things that could be, but what you're describing sounds kind of like when I rolled over a male black widow in my sleep.
You may want to go see a doctor and check if it's some sort of bacterial infection.

I've had three spider bites in the past month (I spend a lot of time outdoors collecting). I get mosquito bites all the time too. Everything likes to bite me, but that's another story for another time.

Bite number one on the side of the neck. 1.5 inches in diameter, blistered over. Mild itching. I rubbed Benadryl on it after the 4th day or so. It cleared up and went away completely in a few more days.

The classic lymph system "red line" formed from the second bite, a 2 inch diameter one. The red line reached to about 4 inches at the longest point, sort of meandering back and forth like a stream would. Moderately itchy. It was in that little divot in the front base of my neck and the line went South. I went to the doctor and he told me to take an over the counter allergy medicine to reduce the reaction or swelling, etc. He also said to ice it when the bite is new and add heat when the bite is a few days in. Finally, he wrote me a prescription for antibiotics and said that I could call it in if I felt I needed it. He also recommended that I take a Benadryl pill in the evening instead of the other pill because it would make me drowsy.

Bite 3 on the side of my abdomen. Itchy. 2 inches in diameter. Rubbed Benedryl on it on day 2 or 3. Still itchy now 4 days later but diameter is down to an inch and it's going away.

In no case did I actually see the spider that bit me nor will I claim 100% that they were the cause, but biting things are rather limited here in Oregon and I know my backyard bugs as well as anybody can claim to.

All in all, the spiders have lost the war this week. Many dropped in to alcohol or taken captive for orders. Not a spider but I just caught my 3rd ever Taracus a few moments ago!

Latest posts