Bug hunts in Arizona(Tucson) and Eastern Texas area

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Giosan, the female grass mantis is wingless just like a stick but the male has wing and fly well. However, the AZ grasshopper mantis has no wing at all on either adult male or female.

Not from KL actually, I'm from PJ. Going to Cameron next month with a friend for a bug hunting trip. This topic motivated me. :D
I lived with my sister in PJ SS2 area for a year before buying a condominium in OUG Hill (Bukit OUG) at Kuala Lumpur. Is the popular PJ food stall (near SS2) still there? I really missed the food! Good luck on your bug hunt trip.

Yen saw, can you give us tips on how to and where to catch mantids in Cameron highlands?
There is no particular places where plentiful insects can be found. Luck and right timing, together with experience and keen eyes play important role. June is a good time as most insects are in season. If you use the old Tapah route, try mile 19th-Tapah-Cameron Highlands road. During day time, check out some fruit trees with ripe fruits, these attract insects which provide foods for mantis. Wild banana and papaya trees are good target for large green mantis. You can also find mantis around gardens in CH booming with flowers. Dead leaf or other cryptive mantis is a little more tricky as they blend very well with surrounding, you need luck and a very keen eyes to spot them. At night, look under street lamp post or building with flourescents light and you might see sometimes a coommon mantids, but moths and beetles are most likely what you wil be encountered.

The new road (Simpang Pulai) going up to Cameron Highlands from Ipoh also provide new hunting ground. Along the way,the forest is good place to collect mantids. Try beat the tree and bushes with a long net and some small,medium and large mantids wil fall into the net. Or you could bring a large white sheet of cloth for easy spotting when the bugs fall to the ground. These mantids are not collected by the aborigines as they have no value, especially when they are at nymph stage with no dried collection value.

If you need more info, PM me. I don't wanna bore other members here with story from CH. Remember the hunting ground there in CH is very different than here in arid Arizona or subtropical Texas.

Before moving on to more bug hunt pics. I was told of species name for few bugs.

One of my Yersiniops adult male die and i sent it to the Texas A&M curator. He think the species i have is Yersiniops sophronica.

grasshoppermantis6dead.jpg

Apparently, the "Disney" velvet ant from Arizona is a very rare specimen. It is of Pseudomethoca quadrinotata

Here it is again

velvetant1.jpg

While the small red velvet ant found in Houston is of the Timulla sp. which is more common.

Last trip to the park before sending Christian to the airport.

Fond a very large spider. It was early in the morning.

spidy2.jpg

zooming in

spidy3.jpg

Hey another fresh S. carolina ooth....

stagmoooth2.jpg

small lizard

skink.jpg

Can't find any mantis for hours bummer so i follow Christian to check out some ants. I was knocking on a tree with some holes and all of the sudden lot of large interesting ants emerging from the holes... obviously the disturbed ants was trying to defend themselves and coming right at me. So i leave them alone after Chris told me that we will have to cut down the tree to dig up the queen..... errr not very possible although Chris would love to have the queen.

ant2.jpg

But then Chris was rewarded with a large wasp like queen ant later on! another queen..... he is a happy man, and we left the park with mosquitoe bites on every single limb. Itch like heck......

I brought back enough of those Megacephala carolina tiger beetles (metallic ones) to start a culture. Not sure if I'll be successful, but it's a fun challenge.

You're welcome, Yen. I'm glad those few extras went to a good cause. I wasn't sure if you were going to be feeling well enough to get out at all, so I made sure that Christian brought back a few things from our adventure for show and tell.

Couple photos:

1. handsome devils (Yen and Peter). somebody must have said something pretty funny cuz I'm cheezin' it BIG TIME!

2. AZ rattlesnake

3. friends John and Michael at the blacklight setup

4. closeup of sheet

yen_peter.jpg

az_rattler.jpg

john_michael_blacklighting.jpg

az_blacklight_bugs.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
hey, i've seen a setup like that before

its used to bring a crud load of insects to you guys at night?

do mantids come too or just insect food for mantids?

Yes, the mercury vapor bulb draws in a bunch of different kinds of bugs. We also had a blacklight bulb on the other side of the sheet. Mantises will fly in, though usually just males. Females can sometimes be found in the bushes in the periphery of the lights.

I'm a bug generalist, so I don't really think of other bugs as being food for mantises when I'm out collecting. I like pretty much everything equally, though mantises make much better pets than most other bugs.

I lived with my sister in PJ SS2 area for a year before buying a condominium in OUG Hill (Bukit OUG) at Kuala Lumpur. Is the popular PJ food stall (near SS2) still there? I really missed the food! Good luck on your bug hunt trip.
Are you referring to Murni? It has changed a lot. They serve a lot of new dishes.

I will add more pics later. We have been hit badly by Hurricane Ike. Part of my house's roof and fences are damaged, bummer :( . Much of the city is without electricity at the moment. My thought is currently with those who have lost their house from the wind or flood.

I will add more pics later. We have been hit badly by Hurricane Ike. Part of my house's roof and fences are damaged, bummer :( . Much of the city is without electricity at the moment. My thought is currently with those who have lost their house from the wind or flood.
Hopefully it wasn't so bad. :(

I brought back enough of those Megacephala carolina tiger beetles (metallic ones) to start a culture. Not sure if I'll be successful, but it's a fun challenge.You're welcome, Yen. I'm glad those few extras went to a good cause. I wasn't sure if you were going to be feeling well enough to get out at all, so I made sure that Christian brought back a few things from our adventure for show and tell.
Nice. I am not familiar with tiger beetle, only see lot of them in dried specimen. Best of luck breeding them Peter. Thanks for the extra bugs you gave Christian. He brought some spiders back to Germany but we end up releasing all the beetles and grasshoppers cos we ran out of luggage space :( but we took some pics of them before letting them go.

Are you referring to Murni? It has changed a lot. They serve a lot of new dishes.
Yes the Murni drive!!! Looking forward to try the food there the next time i go back to Malaysia.

aw man! sucks to get hit by a hurricane.....Well, i hope everybody survived it..
Everyone is alright, but the house is in bad shape. Bummer.....

Sorry i have to skip more bug hunt pics and get to the summary.........

Overall, it was not bad for both of us as we pretty much found what we were looking for

For Christian, he managed to collect 5 different species of queen ants and 2 colonies in the logs.

As for myself, the following is what I collected

Arizona

- 5 ground mantis (Litaneutria minor), 9 grasshopper mantis (Yersiniops sophronica), 5 Arizona mantis (Stagmomantis limbata)

Texas

- 11 grass mantis (Thesprotia graminis) and 3 Carolina mantis ootheca (Stagmomantis carolina) - edit: also couple of adult male Carolina mantis.

Before going back, Christian had a chance to try some food in Houston......

food2.jpg

food1.jpg

Took some pics with my family

home1.jpg

home3.jpg

and chill out in my theater room

home2.jpg

I hope you guys enjoy this thread as much as i do and it would encourage more hobbyists go out to see these insects in the wild. It is a different type of experience, besides rearing mantis in captivity.

After sending Christian to the airport. I have decided to go to another park the next day. After finding both adult male and oothecae of Carolina mantis, i don't understand why i couldn't find adult female Carolina mantis, which is bigger than any other species I found through out this bug hunt. Finally I found 3 Carolina mantis!!! HOw could i missed this species all this while :huh: Well all i can say is ..Luck, luck, and luck!!!

af1-1.jpg

af2-1.jpg

THe recent Hurricane really messed up the trees in all the parks. Most of the parks are flooded too. My guess is the chances of finding more mantis is slim, but i never give up any hope.

Here are few more pics of the mantis collected.

One of the grass mantis molted into subadult, it is a male

sam2.jpg

Ground mantis

groundfemale8.jpg

Adult male grasshopper mantis

am1.jpg

Update. The ootheca collected in Arizona couple of weeks ago surprisingly hatched out today!!! I couldn't tell what exact species it is right now but it has small "teething" on the head. I am hoping it is some new species but most likely it is of Pseudovates arizonae. Hatchling have small "teething" on the head which resemble the Arizona unicorn mantis nymphs. If this is infact Arizona unicorn mantis, this would be new bloodline to the current Arizona unicorn mantis gene pool I distributed a while ago. Hopefully this will keep this species continue for more generations.

Starting to hatch this morning

oothhatch1.jpg

By the end, i have about 55 nymphs. Each appear to be strong and healthy. None get stucked on the ootheca.

oothhatch4.jpg

On the wild collected Carolina mantis, I introduced the pair in the net cage yesterday and gave the female a huge moth. Male took little time to jump on her, she dropped the food immediately but appear not to threaten the male so I took some pics and let them together for the rest of the night.

mate1.jpg

Zooming in

mate1a.jpg

mate2.jpg

But here is what i found the next morning :( he is my only adult male :angry: Anyone here has a male for me?!?! SHe has probably been mated in the wild, is that the reason why she slaugthered the male?

daedmale.jpg

Well at the same time, another wild collected female produced an ootheca in the 32 oz container. GUess she been mated in the wild.

ooth2-1.jpg

Nothing much left. Here is another wild collected subadult male Thesprotia graminis feeding on a large house fly.

sam4.jpg

I like this pic. Looks like he is about to chomp down the flies with his mouth wide open :lol:

sam6.jpg

Well i guess that's all for this thread as i am slowly moving away from the topic. I still have lot of bug hunt pics but it is pretty much the same species of mantis. Peter, feel free to add more pics here if you like. I am out for now, thanks for following this long thread and hopefully everyone finds it interesting.

The storm really "destroyed" the park, i went back to the park and trees are falling left and right.

Before the strom

field.jpg

Afetr the storm

treefall1.jpg

treefall2.jpg

Hardly see anything that move in the park, except for the pesky fire ants... no wonder they are everywhere!

fireant.jpg

So no more bug hunt for me. Hoepfully by next Summer some mantis will come back to the parks again. Luckily i did some bug hunts before Ike arrived. Ike sucks!!

By the way, the ootheca from wild collected Thesprotia graminis hatched in as little as 16 days, as predicted the females been mated in the wild, especially when they are found on tree bark.

hatch1.jpg

Thanks Ian, been busy repairing the house, have insurance adjustor and even FEMA agent dropping by our house, is going to take a long time but life goes on. All the best to you too! :)

Thanks, the repairment is underway and is burning a big hole in my pocket too bummer :( Don't think I will go out for more bug hunt as weather is turning cooler now. Hopefully I can see some nice mantis coming back to this place, the recent storm must have killed or chased many away. I would really like to try some bug collecting in other places like Europe in the future - looking for some empusa! but most likely i will travel to Malaysia next Summer for bug hunt (still feel the pinch from missing the last trip).

Latest posts