Bugfest 2010 *PICS ADDED*

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh geeze, long time, no post, for me. :( As usual, it was a lot of fun, but MUCH busier. Probably the most interesting part of the day was when one of my chinese females jumped on a boy who was pretty squeamish. After being slapped and squeezed, I'm surprised it even survived. :blink: It was also very nice to see Paul and Nick. :D

Also, in case anybody was wondering, the bouquet of grass had 2 brunner's in it. ;) BTW Rick, you always complain about the shirts. :lol: (jk)

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the brown shirts from last year.... :) Free either way haha

Yeah this forum issue is preventing the thread from moving up when it is posted in.

For some reason my reply didn't even post. Be glad when this forum issue is corrected.

We came up with a couple ideas for next year.

The museum posted some pics at this link:

The blue looks good on you Rick! That looks like something I dream about! I'll have to fly out one year. Did you start the mantid portion?

ABbuggin: My Chinese jumped on my sons face once and he grabbed, squeezed and threw her and she bounced right back up to my amazement! They're more resilient than I ever thought! :lol:

The blue looks good on you Rick! That looks like something I dream about! I'll have to fly out one year. Did you start the mantid portion?

ABbuggin: My Chinese jumped on my sons face once and he grabbed, squeezed and threw her and she bounced right back up to my amazement! They're more resilient than I ever thought! :lol:
Uh no it doesn't. Makes me look all skinny or something. <_<

It was originally the idea of Perry Adkison who was a member here. He asked me to help him that first year. He passed away unexpectedly the next spring. I decided to carry on with it. This was the fourth year. They had never had a mantis table at this event.

i like the blue t-shirt, i still can't believe that poor kid was so scard of that chinese when it jumped on him lol and the look on some people when they found out that there were mantids on the grass, that was really fun. I will attend again next yr.

i like the blue t-shirt, i still can't believe that poor kid was so scard of that chinese when it jumped on him lol and the look on some people when they found out that there were mantids on the grass, that was really fun. I will attend again next yr.
Well that kid was sick too. I felt bad because you could tell he was not well. Of all the kids to scare it just had to be him.

Many people have told me that my (calm and standing or walking) Chinese mantids look like they want to attack. I don't see it that way, but some people are just afraid of them. :lol: I was going to do some sort of show and tell at my daughters school but I am afraid that if I have a mantid out, some frightened kid will harm it. :unsure: The Pre K class seems too young anyway. It would be great if there was any kind of bug show around my area. Btw, the shirt looks fine, you do not look skinny, Rick. :lol: It could have been a worse color.

Uh no it doesn't. Makes me look all skinny or something. <_<
Oh Rick, if it makes you look skinny I didn't notice. You still look all buff and tough. ;)

So, what do you do to organize this kind of thing? Was there some sort of festival or display as a starting point?

So, what do you do to organize this kind of thing? Was there some sort of festival or display as a starting point?
It was originally the idea of Perry Adkison who was a member here. He asked me to help him that first year. He passed away unexpectedly the next spring. I decided to carry on with it. This was the fourth year. They had never had a mantis table at this event. Third time I posted that, maybe you will read it this time. :p

After Perry passed away I let them know I was the new contact. Each year they send the info and I let them know the details of what I am bringing. They let me know the date, time, and exact location within the museum. As far as I know Perry knew they didn't have a mantid table so he simply volunteered to do one. Bugfest has been going on for years as far as I know.

I read it, but I was wondering about more specific things, like did the museum already have something setup or did Perry go to the museum with the idea? And is it all volunteer based or is there funding for it? I guess I should've been more specific....
pinch.gif

Bugfest was awesome! I had a great time! :) I was surprised just how packed it was. :blink: I plan on going next year if possible? It was really nice to meet all of you. :)

I read it, but I was wondering about more specific things, like did the museum already have something setup or did Perry go to the museum with the idea? And is it all volunteer based or is there funding for it? I guess I should've been more specific....
pinch.gif
Haha it's ok. Perry brought the idea to them. I believe most of it is volunteers. The museum does do a lot of things though. I suspect they have it in their budget since they provide food for the volunteers, shirts, etc. The first year they asked what I needed as far as containers went. They let us order what we wanted from wherever we wanted. That stopped after that year though. We do get to request easels, laptops, sign holders, etc for the tables.

Yes Paul, I hope in the future you can lend a hand at the table. It was great meeting you too.

The museum reported that we had a record attendance this year of 35,464 people.

Latest posts