Bugfest 2013! Pics are up!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
It's about that time again! If you're in the SE U.S. September 21st I highly suggest coming to this event that takes place at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences. All things arthropod! As many of you know since 07 I have hosted a mantis booth during this event. Even after six years it is still the only booth dedicated to mantids. Last year there were over 35,000 unique visitors to Bugfest.

As always I am looking for advice, suggestions, and input on how I can improve my display. If you were coming what would you like to see at a mantis booth? Currently I have dried mantids, mantids in alcohol, ooths, books, magazines, posters, live mantids, etc. I am considering thin slicing an ooth and displaying it to show the internal structure. I really need your help on suggesting other items to bring.

Below is a link to last years event with pictures. I have a pretty good spread, but I tried to improve it every year. Unfortunately (and I find ridiculous) I am not permitted to bring non native mantids to this event. Therefore, I am looking for any US mantids members here would like to donate. I can send them back if needed. I have the more common ones covered but really need ground mantids, FL barks, etc. I had a pair of ground mantids but they died.

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=27039&hl=

Check out the link below for details on Bugfest. They don't have this years locations for booths yet but it will be coming.

http://www.bugfest.org/

Last edited by a moderator:
Big thanks to those that have offered to help.

Still looking for ideas for the booth. My wife had the idea of raffling off a mantis related item for the kids. We found a "mantis pagoda" on Amazon that looked neat and would work for housing a mantis.

Just did a search for "mantis pagoda". That looks awesome, and I think the raffling is a great idea.

Just did a search for "mantis pagoda". That looks awesome, and I think the raffling is a great idea.
A lot of kids at this thing so I agree. I've thought about having a mantis feeding at certain times. People seem to enjoy that.

Forgive my being lazy, I'm at work and can't bring up a map atm, which airport would one fly into? There look to be three on quick glance

Forgive my being lazy, I'm at work and can't bring up a map atm, which airport would one fly into? There look to be three on quick glance
Raleigh Durham International (RDU). Not even sure where else you could fly into. RDU is the main airport in the area.

Ty! I am exploring options. If I can do it financially I would love to be there. Thinking one way flight down then drive back, I love road trips and its only 11-13 hours depending on traffic :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Took the time off from both jobs and the web design, now I have to make it happen. Guess I research public transit and hotels :) very excited

Took the time off from both jobs and the web design, now I have to make it happen. Guess I research public transit and hotels :) very excited
Not sure about public trans. There are buses I do know that. Since you have to drive home maybe just rent a car? Pretty sure there are hotels downtown near the museum. Hope to see you there!

I can't seem to stay away. I will going again this year. This will be the fourth year in a row.
Nice nice. I wish I was able to hang out with you guys, just simply don't have the time.

So what mantis species do you already have for this event?