Bugfest 2015!

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick

Reaction score
It's about that time again! If you're in the SE U.S. September 19th I highly suggest coming to this event that takes place at the NC Museum of Natural Sciences. All things arthropod! As many of you know since 2007 I have hosted a mantis booth during this event. Last year there were over 35,000 unique visitors to Bugfest.

As always I am looking for advice, suggestions, and input on how I can improve my display. If you were coming what would you like to see at a mantis booth? Currently I have preserved mantids and ooths, books, magazines, posters, live mantids, etc. I really need your help on suggesting other items to bring.

Below are links to the last two years with pictures. I have a pretty good spread, but I tried to improve it every year. Unfortunately I am not permitted to bring live non-native mantids to this event. Therefore, I am looking for any US mantids members here would like to donate. I can send them back if needed. I have the more common ones covered but really need ground mantids, FL barks, etc. I would also be interested in purchasing some mantids for this event.

http://mantidforum.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=33499&hl=

http://mantidforum.n...topic=27039&hl=

Check out the link below for details on Bugfest. They don't have this years locations for booths yet but it will be coming.

www.bugfest.org

Last edited by a moderator:
Less than a week away! I will have quite the variety of live mantids this year.

Great to hear you got a variety of native mantids for the show. I would of contributed but you had more than you needed of the two natives I have. Have a great time at the show Rick.

Description from the museum:

BugFest is the largest arthropod-focused event in the country! With over 30,000 visitors, over 100 exhibits, displays, crafts, games and activities, bands, presentations and lots of live arthropods, BugFest has something for everyone! In addition to meeting hundreds of live bugs, you can sample them in buggy dishes at Cafe Insecta, where local chefs prepare insects in delicious ways. Perhaps you’ll encounter Hush-Grubbies or some Lemony Crickets!

The 2015 Theme Arthropod is the cicada! There will be special cicada crafts and activities, educational displays and you will even get to sample cicadas in special fare!

Have fun... Wish I were closer.. I would love to come see it... Someday...

Let us know how it turns out...

Im excited for my own local, event. Shame they do not allow tropical mantis species though :p Good luck. Ill send ya some aspirin for a headache xD

Good luck! Your display is pretty amazing!
Thanks Orin.

Had a forum member helping me today and another who lives in the area stopped by for a visit. I'll get some pictures up tomorrow.

So first I need to thank those who helped me out this year by supplying mantids or supplies. Without people like this it would much more difficult to have a good exhibit.

Yen Saw

Peter Clausen

AndrewNisip

MantidBro

Vlodek

And big thanks to mantiseater (does he secretly eat mantids?) for traveling a long way to help staff my booth. Always nice to have someone with mantis knowledge to help you. He also brought some mantids to display.

Hopefully I have not forgotten anybody.

Awesome pictures...and display... Looks like a great time... I will be there...hopefully next year! Thanks for sharing.. That first pic... At first I thought it was one mantis... then I seen another.. then another??? How many were in that plant? or was it just mantis??? LOL

Latest posts