Burnneria borealis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And another one died today. I don't freaking understand it. I don't know if it's the small spiders outside the containers coming into the cups from the air holes and biting them or what, but this is ridiculous. I'd have 12 or so hatched so far, but I'm down to 7 with the deaths.I kept the ooth at room temperature since I got it from Rick. In a container, and misted it a couple times a week (not the ooth directly). The first nymph actually popped out the end that tapers, the end that you would see come last out of the mantid's butt-end. I expected them to come out the top/front like normal, but so far they are coming out of that back end of the ooth.
B. Borealis nymphs need 85-90F and don't mind humidity (but well ventilated) Most nymphs emerged from the tap end of the ootheca which is normal so no worry. MOre nymphs continue to hatch for a period of 3-6 months span. Once I have a nymph hatched out to see subadult of one that hatched from the same ooth! Here are few of my old pics for this species, i haven't had a chance to capture more since 2005.

Nbb2.jpg

BB1.jpg

BB2.jpg

BB6.jpg

BB5.jpg

B. Borealis nymphs need 85-90F and don't mind humidity (but well ventilated) Most nymphs emerged from the tap end of the ootheca which is normal so no worry. MOre nymphs continue to hatch for a period of 3-6 months span. Once I have a nymph hatched out to see subadult of one that hatched from the same ooth! Here are few of my old pics for this species, i haven't had a chance to capture more since 2005.
Nbb2.jpg
wow... i fly eating non canibalistic spieces i can keep like phasmids ?!?

sounds like THE spieces for me :lol: :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
wow... i fly eating non canibalistic spieces i can keep like phasmids ?!?sounds like THE spieces for me :lol: :eek:
No they will eat each other. That was only the cage i kept all the wild caught adult female together. I later separated them into 2-3 per cage and few cannibalism occurred. But they are not as cannibalistic as most common green mantis. In fact in the wild i found few of them together in close proximity.

No they will eat each other. That was only the cage i kept all the wild caught adult female together. I later separated them into 2-3 per cage and few cannibalism occurred. But they are not as cannibalistic as most common green mantis. In fact in the wild i found few of them together in close proximity.
oh ok, i was confused by the picture.

isn't this the species of mantis that parthenogenetic? every mantis is female if i remember rightly

very cool looking species indeed :)

Those shots are great...particularly the profiles. The one towards the end shows great definition. Their upper body (thorax) looks almost corrugated.

These are supposed to be in Alabama (Lower, I'm guessing) but are definitely recorded in Florida. Would love to see some in the wiild.

isn't this the species of mantis that parthenogenetic? every mantis is female if i remember rightlyvery cool looking species indeed :)
no every mantis is not a female, it's just that females have the ability to reproduce fertile ooths without mating. Ofcourse they will only yield female clones of the mother. Not all brunneria reproduce this way, just like my I. oratorias who are also parthengenetic.

sorry, guess I was wrong. I was browsing the old topics, and found that Christian said all sp. are female. Wow, I never knew

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts