Burying mantis

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dont think anyone in the states has heard of or raised this species and doubt anyone would know

Amazing mantis. Are you keeping them humid or dry? Have you changed their habitat a lot trying to get it right for them? I know nothing more about this mantis than what I read in the link.

I wrote "Hello. There is a person who has a few of these mantids and they are dying. Could you please tell me how you cared for your Sphodropoda tristis?" here.

I had a few in the past, they aren't easy to keep and it is why I eventually got rid of them.

They need a thick substrate, alot thicker than paper towel - moss, peat, soil, coco fibre work well.

They like it humid, up near 90% is preferred.

They are fairly happy with any temp though anything under 25c (77F) they'll be slightly sluggish.

Feed them on crawling insects, they don't like flys so much (atleast mine didnt), small roaches or pin crickets should be small enough to handle at L3.

This is the best I can do for a caresheet, this is how I sucessfully kept 2 males and 2 females up to adult.

EDIT: I forgot to mention they always seemed happier to hang of a leaf than they did on the mesh top (unlike all my other mantids).

Lining the top of whatever you're keeping them in with a silk flower leaf might improve their hapiness

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all replies :)

I will try do to my best on keeping them...

They are hardest species I had before ... dont know why

From my experience :

If I mist them they are dying after 1 day -.-

They like to hunt for d. melanogaster but they are not interested at whole in flying flies

This species really shouldn't be misted. They live in Arid areas of queensland. Try raising the temperature to over 90º due to their heat loving lifestyle. They're very fast, like a tarachodes. As for feeding, they will eat fruit flies and pinhead crickets. They're actually easy if you don't keep them in a damp environment

This species really shouldn't be misted. They live in Arid areas of queensland. Try raising the temperature to over 90º due to their heat loving lifestyle. They're very fast, like a tarachodes. As for feeding, they will eat fruit flies and pinhead crickets. They're actually easy if you don't keep them in a damp environment
Great this will probably help a lot! :clap:

I read this in the care sheet "They are usually not very aggressive towards their prey items and will eat anything that is less than three quarters of their own body mass." that is huge for a mantis! I think that is an exaggeration. Did you actually weigh the prey and the mantis? Anyway if they catch animals three quarters of their own body mass then they are aggressive predators (I mean tackle things that are huge).

Last edited by a moderator:
Great this will probably help a lot! :clap:

I read this in the care sheet "They are usually not very aggressive towards their prey items and will eat anything that is less than three quarters of their own body mass." that is huge for a mantis! I think that is an exaggeration. Did you actually weigh the prey and the mantis? Anyway if they catch animals three quarters of their own body mass then they are aggressive predators (I mean tackle things that are huge).
Ah whoops that is meant to be 1/4 I will change that now.

Latest posts