Butterflies?

Mantidforum

Help Support Mantidforum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BellsBird

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I know, i know, you're all thinking I'm perfectly horrid to suggest feeding a bootiful butterfly to my soon-to-be greedy mantis, but why not? (even if i did manage to catch a butterfly, i probs won't have the heart to feed it to Dotty :p )

I think it would be an interesting experiance, watching a mantis devour a butterfly or moth. To watch the wings slowly curshing together to fit into the mantids hungry mouth...

but what about moths? They're a bit more unpopular and smaller (not to mention easier to catch -_-). Would they appeal to my mantid at all? Just wondering :D

--Robyn

(by the way, my mantis is an orthodera if anyone wants to know :) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, though I'm afraid your probably getting your hopes up on seeing the mantis crush up and eat butterfly wings. My mantises always eat the bodies but let the wings drop to the ground. Only time they do any wing munching is if them make a clumsy grab and it takes them a bit of nomming to find the real meat on their meal.

Yep, though I'm afraid your probably getting your hopes up on seeing the mantis crush up and eat butterfly wings. My mantises always eat the bodies but let the wings drop to the ground. Only time they do any wing munching is if them make a clumsy grab and it takes them a bit of nomming to find the real meat on their meal.
Hahaha, ok. I was thinking pf the last time i saw a gecko eat a moth--whole :) iThe wings got all crunched up and were sucked into his mouth ;) Aaaah....Dinner time at Dotty's should be interesting :p

Nothing gets a mantis excited like the flapping wings of a butterfly or moth. During warm months I catch as many as I can for food. They don't eat the wings.

I reckon! If i were a mantis, I would enjoy catching flies rather than crickets. Much more of a challenge! but I'll have to beat the geckos to the moths in the evenings if Dotty shows a preference for things with wings!

Throw a moth or butterfly in there and you will see action. Soon as they spot those flapping wings they go nuts to get em.

Latest posts